PDA

View Full Version : Vegas observations(long)

06-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Just got back from Vegas and as usual, had a great time. The only regret I have is not getting the time to take a lesson from Mason. By the way Mason, I appreciate your response to my e-mail and don't think your price is at all unreasonable. The next time out, I will be contacting you.

Since I just started playing at the 10-20, 15-30 level in the past year, I had not gotten the opportunity (or nerve), to play in these games my last time out. My assumption was that they would be loaded with pro's and I would go through my bankroll the first night. After reading the posts from other Vegas regulars that stated these games were very beatable in the evening, and knowing that my game is much more solid now than it was a year ago, thanks in part to this board and practice, I couldn't wait to sit in.

The Bellagio had a tournament going on , so the 15-30 games weren't as abundant as I had hoped, although I did get in one very profitable session. It was pretty cool to see some of the name players like Ferguson, Hellmuth, Seidel, etc. playing. For those of you that live there, this may not be much, but I thought it fun.

The Mirage had a good limit tourny on Wed. that I got to play in, and finnished 2 out of the money(aaaargh!), and some great 10-20 games. Any way, here are a few of my observations:

1) the 2+2ers were absolutely correct about some of the poor play at the 10-20 and 15-30 games. I posted one hand in Middle-limits as an example. If I had known this my last trip out, I wouldn't have stayed in the 6-12 game. The 8-16 game was a bit looser than some of the posters suggested, but that was only one session, and could have been the cause of not enough 15-30 tables.

2) Most of the dealers that play, are not very good at all. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that some of them just started playing the game, and after many hours of pushing pots to some of the luckier players, they devised their own game plan. It seems like they had very little real knowledge of the game, but could only talk about the players that take away the big wins every night. IMO they just bought into the illusion. There were, however, some real good dealer-players.

3) Most of the Low limit tourny players, get into the ring games and play weak-tight. I found it very easy to push them off hands. It seemed like they use their "survival tournament" strategy, and act as if every play is going to finnish them for the night.

4) The Vegas regulars are as grumpy as ever. The most fun I had was getting drunk at the Flamingo 4-8 game. Simce I stayed at the Flamingo, we decided to start drinking while playing the lower-limits. Very easy to beat and a lot of fun. If any the pro's would just pick up on the hint that has been posted on this board time and time again, they would do wonders for their bankroll.

I can tell you that I always have fun, never show any anger, or allow anyone to upset me at the table. The best games are the ones when everybody has a good time. Imagine the pit boss cursing your stupid play when you hit 4 hardways in a row.

Get it.

5) The Bellagio and Mirage need cup holders on their tables. I saw no less than 4 drinks spilled. Between refelting the tables and the loss of time in clean-up and deck changes (the drinks always find their way to the cards), it would be a worthwhile investment.

06-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Noo Yawk, you wrote: "The Vegas regulars are as grumpy as ever". HEY - I am grumpy cuz we didn't get to meet. Did you meet Dynasty, D.Andrew, Clarkmeister or anyone except those drunks and dealers you were hangin' with? No? I guess you didn't meet Mason either. Bummer. Next time we must be sure to rendevous. Glad you had a good time and hope it was a profitable trip. You are correct about the cupholder problem, especially at the Bellagio.... Take care. Babe

06-22-2002, 07:53 AM
I was only there for 3 nights, and I didn't get a chance to meet anyone from 2+2. Next time I need to get a description of everyone before I go. There was one super hottie at the 10-20 table, so I naturally assumed that was you! But it wasn't!

The grumps were generally real nice to me, but just made the game miserable for the kitchen table players looking for a good time. Something about grumpy old people makes me laugh anyway. Kinda reminds me of an uncle I loved to death, although he was always yelling at everyone for no particular reason! Anyway, next time out I'll plan a bit better and try to meet the 2+2ers.