PDA

View Full Version : How are these pot/implied odds calculated?

TStoneMBD
07-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Hi, say for instance that Player A flopped a flush draw and player B flopped a set. Player B bets $50 into a pot that is already $100 and has $40 left. Player A has him covered. If player A calls the bet he will be receiving 3:1 pot odds, but if you know that Player B will push all in on the turn regardless of the card how do you calculate implied odds vs reverse implied odds in this particular case?

Dov
07-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Player B bets $50 into a $100 pot and has $40 left which you know he will bet on the turn. You are getting effective odds of 9:19 - You will have to pay $90 to win $190.

If Player A calls the bet, he is getting just about the right price to call. Just under 2-1 for the flush draw with 2 cards to come. He is not giving B any reverse implied odds.

Disclaimer: Do not accept my answer without validating it for yourself. I am relatively new to solving these, and appreciate any criticism and corrections. That said, I think I have it right.

PhilipJ
08-01-2004, 10:24 AM
First let me say I am a new player so I am not sure whether or not my answer is even close to the truth. I would appreciate it if someone could comment on my post.

Just based on the odds, I don't think I would call his $50 bet if I know for sure my opponent hits a set, because the pot is too small and he is short-stacked which won't give me good implied odds.

If we change the scenario, say, het pushes allin on the flop, I agree that the pot odds is 190:90, or 2.11:1.

But I have to be more careful when calculating the strenth of my hand. I agree that the odds of I getting my flush on the turn or the river is under 2:1, 1.86:1 to be exact. But there are complications I have to consider.

If the board is 2-suited, at least one of my outs is counterfeited or in my opponent's hand. This leaves me with 8 outs to draw to on the turn and the river. In this case, my odds of improve to a winning flush is at best 2.18:1. This alone makes calling his allin a -EV move.

If the board is 3-suited I still have a 1.86:1 odds to get a flush. But say I get my flush, my opponent now have 10 outs to improve his hand to a full house or four of a kind. So my odds of having the winning hand on the river is 3.65:1.

So if I base my strategy purely on the odds, I wouldn't call his $50 bet or $90 allin.