PDA

View Full Version : How would you play AA on the bubble

nissan73
07-30-2004, 09:34 PM
I played a large (150+) MTT at a local card room and found myself with a debatable play on the bubble. The blinds were 600 and 1200 with antes of 400 with 8 people at the table. I was short stacked with 3900 and seated in the middle position. From what I could see, 1 person at my table and 2 people at another table had smaller stacks and would be going all in before me. Pretty good players remaining - maybe a few small time pros.

The debate is, with pocket aces do you go all in or slow play and generate additional bets but risk losing on a draw? Given how close I was to being in the money and given my stack size, I chose all in. Everyone folded and I doubled up via the antes and the blinds. I asked a few later on about this play and a few thought I should have slow played while a few agreed with my play. Thoughts?

Ghazban
07-30-2004, 09:44 PM
At that point, I'd push and be happy to just get the blinds and antes if that's what happens. If you get called, you're a big favorite regardless but if you slow play you might get multiple people involved in the pot and you're chances of winning it go down (though your EV may go up as you'll win more when you do win).

$DEADSEXE$
07-31-2004, 02:31 AM
If you slowplay...a couple big stacks could decide to see a cheap flop and even though you will most likely be ahead after the flop--they probally will have draws that they'll chase since your stack is so small.
Better to force them to go all-in preflop or fold and pick up the blinds.

Potowame
07-31-2004, 03:11 AM
well when I see someone as ahort stacked as you where limp-in, It screams BIG PAIR. why else would you limp in for over a 1/3 of your stack.
I think in the Long run you will get more action pushing this hand than Limping. Players will figure you for pushing on a wide varity of hands but the limp will scare them off. IMO

vegasbob
07-31-2004, 04:23 AM
You played it well. Be happy to take the blinds and antes and wait to gamble. How did you do ?

Jah Red
07-31-2004, 06:30 AM
I was faced with almost this same question just yesterday. $20 Party MTT, down to 90, money starts at 80.

I have approx 4000 in middle position and get AA. UTG (6000 chips) pushes.

What do you all do with this one?

I can't lay down Aces and call. UTG has A 10 and rivers the gutshot str8 and I toss my monitor out the window. Anyone lay this down to limp into the $$?

nsj
07-31-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
down to 90, money starts at 80.

I have approx 4000 in middle position and get AA. UTG (6000 chips) pushes.

Anyone lay this down to limp into the $$?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never.

deacsoft
07-31-2004, 11:16 AM
DON'T SLOWPLAY ACES.

durron597
07-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Not a chance. You played it right, but he plays goot. Get 'em next time.

nissan73
07-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I made the right play but feedback and reassurance is always appreciated. I was asked how I did. As I said, I went all in and took the blinds and the antes on that play. Subsequently watched 4 other short stacks get knocked out and made it to the final table where I was the first to go. Knocked out in late position with KQ when the small blind called my all in with A9. I was still short stacked and wasnt going to make it through the blinds so it was a must push. Payed out $250 on buy-in of $85, including the rebuy. Given I was short stacked most of the way through I was quite happy to finish in the money. Also happy because I have much less experience off line. There is an added dimension having someone stare you down. Thanks again all.