PDA

View Full Version : is this a wrong play??

faxwoods
07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
we had a NL hold em game with 9 players starting off with 1000 in chips each. it was down to 3 handed with me being the chip leader by about 2-1 to 2nd place chip count. blinds were 300/600 at this point when this confrontation came about. button folds and i was SB. i look down at Q/6 offsuit and called the BB. BB checks(he was 2nd place chip count). flop comes 6/4/3 rainbow. i went all-in and WITHOUT any hesitation he calls and says "i need a 5". he flips open a J/7 offsuit. and then of course the turn card comes a 5 to bury me. my stack was crippled after this blow and i go all in again on the very next hand with A/J and he calls again WITHOUT hesitation with a Q/5 offsuit. of course he hits the Q on the flop and im done.
question is did i play the first hand incorrectly?? maybe i shouldnt have went all in and made a decent sized bet instead (he wouldve called anyways) and play the hand down. at that time i was chip leader and i felt i had to push him out of a pot if i had a chance and cant give him any free or cheap cards. any comments/suggestions would be appreciated

bsiu5
07-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm assuming this is a tournament...Why risk your chips when your the chip leader to the 2nd stack. if you let him double up it's over. What if he had K6 or 2 pair, or flopped the nut. why not gather some info. first by betting. Granted he made an idiotic call but still why give him a chance to take your chips that you worked so hard to get. I'm assumming you had alot of chips since the blinds were quite large.

Nate Finch
07-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Definitely don't go all in with a pair of 6's, even if it is top pair. He could easily have a pocket pair of 7's. A big bet at this point will still give you information, but if the open ended straight is on the board, you can get out of it.

Wait for something better... you have some time... it's your opponents that need to make a move.

-Nate