PDA

View Full Version : I can't stop berating players.

RPatterson
07-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I could feel that I was going to play shitty in this last sit n go. And I did. Trying to bluff when my AK missed against two guys, like they will ever fold their small pocket pair? No. I recovered to 2nd chip leader out of 17 remaining when a dumbass goes all-in with a gutshot straight draw vs. my pocket KK.

But then this horrible player to my right completes his small-blind and I check with K2. Flop is 682. He bets, I raise, and he re-raises all-in. I knew he had me beat here but there was something about this horrible player winning chips from me because I had a 2nd best hand that just pissed me off so I called anyways and became a shorter stack.

Few hands later I go all-in with AQ for like 10 times the BB and the BB calls with 55. After the hand I was like "great call, calling large all-in's with small pocket pairs is smart". He says "I was the favorite dumbass". To which I retorted "yeah you were either a 2% favorite or a 1-4 underdog, great job". He responded with something losers say like "enjoy watching" when they have the rare thrill of not getting knocked out yet.

Anyways, don't you hate these guys. They call with 55 and then defend it as good poker? At least I can admit my call with K2 was stupid.

River2Pair
07-30-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Few hands later I go all-in with AQ for like 10 times the BB and the BB calls with 55. After the hand I was like "great call, calling large all-in's with small pocket pairs is smart". He says "I was the favorite dumbass". To which I retorted "yeah you were either a 2% favorite or a 1-4 underdog, great job". He responded with something losers say like "enjoy watching" when they have the rare thrill of not getting knocked out yet.

Anyways, don't you hate these guys. They call with 55 and then defend it as good poker? At least I can admit my call with K2 was stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Oh look at this, he's got a real hand! A wired pair of fives! He's got the speed limit! How's he going to play it?"--VVP

Dominic
07-30-2004, 07:47 PM
actually, what I hate is whiners who cry after getting beat.

do you actually want him to stop calling your big raises with small PPs?? Would you have felt better if it was 10-10? Or would it have to be KK?

I think it's on you to determine if a player is the gambling sort who will take his small PP against overcards and run with them...or the kind of player you apparently only want to play against - the "good" one who will know better and fold to your obviously superior move.

When you figure out how to beat "bad" players, then you can start talking like a good one. Until then, best to keep your whining to a minimum.

Eder
07-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I dont mind to push at times w small pockets if theres a chance to make raiser fold...usually coin flip if called...but very fun to make AQ fold

BrettK
07-30-2004, 09:10 PM
I love playing with players that make moves like this. What I don't love is having to listen to someone for fifteen minutes afterwards because he can't handle people making bad calls and feels the need to educate the fish. Just say 'nh' or 'gg' and move along. These guys are the reason you make money.

Brett

stupidsucker
07-30-2004, 09:43 PM
I have the same problem. I go on tilt when people make ridiculous bad beats on me, and I all too often let them have a piece of my mind. I feel like an idiot sometimes, but when I flop a set and someone calls my all in with their inside draw and they hit, it just makes me feel like such a tool.

This is probably one of the biggest leaks in my game. I have no class sometimes at all, and I am embarassed for myself afterwards. I am smart enough not to play bad poker on tilt, but I cant keep my mouth shut. The thing that bothers me most is when I make the right choice, and people call me a moron for it. Like pushing with J9s when I have a horrible short stack. If I get called and I win sometimes the whole table berates me, and I get defensive and dish it out right back when they make a dumb move because my move was correct.

ANyways. You arent the only one. And both of us should keep our mouths shut. I honestly dont think it scares any fish away though. I think they play this way because they enjoy inflicting pain on people. They play knowing they are gambling and gain even more satisfaction from it when they get yelled at.

[ QUOTE ]
do you actually want him to stop calling your big raises with small PPs??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Yes I do. When I am on the steal I dont want anything calling me. Not 59o 55 or anything. The only time I want a call is when I have AA-QQ. Sure I am happy when I get a call and I am a dominant hand such as if he woulda called with A6o vs the AQ push, but most of the time I personaly only want the blinds. I dont even want them calling with KJ making the AQ only a slight favorite.

River2Pair
07-30-2004, 09:47 PM
I just got done playing a Party 10+1 SNG where someone ended up all in preflop with QJ against KK in the first round, and QJ ended up sucking out. The guy with KK had him covered, so the rest of the table was treated to this jerk berating the guy who called him for another lap or two. I asked him, "Why don't you like someone calling you with QJ in that spot?" and all he just called me stupid. I think for players with some anger management issues, try taking a broader view, and try to work on the leaks in your own game. How many times do we take down a huge pot, scratching our heads wondering what possessed him to call with virtually nothing? Well if KK is a 4-1 favorite against QJ, the 1 is going to happen once in a while, while we get rich off the 4. If you're playing well, keep it up, it will come around. If you're not playing well, get better, get out, or accept that you play the game for fun and you might win some money once in a while.

Peace.

eastbay
07-30-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that bothers me most is when I make the right choice, and people call me a moron for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me all the time, and I really have to bite my tongue sometimes.

Usually I just say something like "ok, boss" or sometimes I'll just play dumb, and say something like "I guess that was a bad move" and hope that they will continue to take me for an idiot.

But, I know what you mean. I immediately want to explain why they're the idiot, not me. But it only hurts you to do that, on the off chance that they listen and comprehend your argument.

Just remember that you have no reason to be defensive. Joke's on them. You make money at this game and chances are very good that they don't. So, why do you care what they think?

eastbay

edge
07-30-2004, 10:13 PM
I absolutely hate it when players make suboptimal moves. There's nothing better than a game entirely decided by the cards, since every player plays perfectly.

I think I'll go place huge bets on a game of "heads or tails".

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. If I'm pissed off because I lost to a horrible beat, I don't type anything. I rage where the players can't see--outside of the game. Go punch a wall or find something fragile to break.

River2Pair
07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. If I'm pissed off because I lost to a horrible beat, I don't type anything. I rage where the players can't see--outside of the game. Go punch a wall or find something fragile to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're SOL if its your mouse though.

edge
07-30-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're SOL if its your mouse though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already did that once. I whipped the mouse across my desk--too bad it wasn't cordless. I ended up ripping the cord right out of the mouse.

Oh well, it was starting to break anyway, and now I have a better mouse.

eastbay
07-30-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely hate it when players make suboptimal moves. There's nothing better than a game entirely decided by the cards, since every player plays perfectly.

I think I'll go place huge bets on a game of "heads or tails".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we're talking about beats here (at least I wasn't). We're talking about something which could appear to be a bad move on our part if you don't consider all the circumstances.

A steal with a marginal hand at a tight table that gets caught, etc.

eastbay

RPatterson
07-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Your right dominic, from now on I will fold AQ when my stack is 11 times the BB because one of the bad players behind me MIGHT have a pocket pair, MIGHT call and MIGHT win. I will instead wait for great opportunities to use my 11xbb stack to outplay the poor players.

I never thought of it this way before. Thanks for enlightening me to this brilliant line of strategical thought.

fnurt
07-30-2004, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your right dominic, from now on I will fold AQ when my stack is 11 times the BB because one of the bad players behind me MIGHT have a pocket pair, MIGHT call and MIGHT win. I will instead wait for great opportunities to use my 11xbb stack to outplay the poor players.

I never thought of it this way before. Thanks for enlightening me to this brilliant line of strategical thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're going to come here and berate 2+2? You have some issues you need to work out.

River2Pair
07-30-2004, 11:11 PM
This post reminds me of what a friend of mine once said.

He had been a drug addict and an alcoholic for twenty years trying to get sober. He finally had gotten his act together and had been sober for a year, yet found himself in intensive care after a heart attack. He asked, "Why me God?" He then heard a voice from above say, "I don't know. There's just something about you that sort of pisses me off."

He always told this story with a smile on his face.

He passed away last weekend with over eighteen years of continuous sobriety, a happy and successful man.

I guess the bad beats do even themselves out in the end.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-30-2004, 11:26 PM
I hate to say it, but I have this problem every now and then. Usually only when I'm on a horrible losing streak. I wish I could just disable chat altogether. I'm trying to stop it entirely. Berating other players does nothing but increase my frustration during a bad run.

Edit: Just restrained myself when a guy called my 8xBB all-in with J9o to beat my AKo.

stupidsucker
07-31-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This happens to me all the time, and I really have to bite my tongue sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Im glad I am not the only one. I have had times where the entire table mocks me. ON 1 occasion this one guy stayed to watch me because he was so pissed I pushed with a worse hand then him and he called me with like Ax and lost to my Q4 or something. I was going for a steal because my stack size was horrible and the blinds were rough. I ended up taking 4th and he was very satisfied in "proving" I was a dumbass.

I think I will try to come up with some clever comments. Maybe I can create a website devoted to nonsense poker with false information. Then type the link in any time someone calls me a moron.

I should enjoy it when the suckers think I play bad because they dont understand poker, but instead I get prideful. I find myself bragging about the money I make off fish like YOU. I think this encourages people to call your all ins because they want to bust you, and this is horrible -EV.

I really need to stfu. I am going back to my PP account soon and my name there is "TehBluffman". I guess I will just be able to link them the leaderboard and say nothing else if I want to make a statement.

RPatterson
07-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Yeah, berating the players actually makes me feel more pissed too. You will never hear something like "yes I know calling all-in's with 55 is stupid, I'm just a stupid player that likes to try to get lucky". You never hear the truth. And if it was something totaly retarded that can't be defended then they go into a "well poker is gambling" line of defense.

I feel alot better if I just immediately close the table and go to a different game but it's just so much easier to stay at the table and talk about how stupid their play was.

RPatterson
07-31-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm berating a poster on 2+2, that berated me. Not berating 2+2. I like 2+2.

smartalecc5
07-31-2004, 12:56 AM
I would have called with 55.........

RPatterson
07-31-2004, 01:02 AM
I guess you should read this forum more then.

RPatterson
07-31-2004, 01:03 AM
He was calling. Doesn't have anything to do with my post.

Potowame
07-31-2004, 02:59 AM
I two had a problem with this, I have found a simple word that I use to nicely tell the Fish that I am pissed that I got called with that crap and lost.

WOW! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Than I watch for awhile to make sure the guy doesn't make the money. You would be suprised /images/graemlins/grin.gif, most of the time they get knocked out about 20-30 hands later with another great call.

MicroBob
07-31-2004, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew he had me beat here but there was something about this horrible player winning chips from me because I had a 2nd best hand that just pissed me off so I called anyways and became a shorter stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

you knew you were beat but you called the bet because you were pissed off that he raised.
you didn't want the 'horrible player' to win chips from you....so you responded by giving him more chips.
interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
"great call, calling large all-in's with small pocket pairs is smart".

[/ QUOTE ]

when i see chat like this i typically make a note that the player saying this is a whiner...which means i want to be playing in his games.
btw, i don't know what the stack-sizes were or what level you were at for this hand....but there are definitely situations where i call here.

additionally, you had already made a bad play...did it occur to you that your opponent took a calculated gamble based on your earlier tilt-induced play??

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, don't you hate these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. not even a little bit.

especially so if i'm on the short-stack and looking to double-up. i'm happy with a 50-50 shot here and would be disappointed (moderately) if i only stole the blinds.

when i'm on the short-stack and i push-in with a decent hand i'm HOPING that someone puts me on a steal-attempt and decides to call. i need a double-up, not a blind-steal. although it's okay if i have to settle for the latter.

Wolf
07-31-2004, 03:35 AM
Good stuff Microbob

It is a frustrating game, we all know that. And there are a ton of new players (I feel like a veteran with only 1 year in). If you are playing horrible players it may be due to lower limit play. Thats where the donkeys/rookies learn before movin up.

My favorite rookie move is the all-in (sit n gos). Staying away from probable coin flips is the biggest key to winning IMO. Played a 30 man $30+3 Party tonight. Saw at least 10 all ins early w/AK some sooted. AQ was very popular allin also. I'm not looking to go out 28th when someone hits their draw. I can fold a big hand and out play him later.

Doesn't that say "my best chance to win is to flip a coin?, since I don't have confidence in my post flop game".

I love these games especially when a guy can't believe his MIGHTY AK didn't hold up. Maybe a big raise woulda built a bigger pot for you to milk some dough outa the river when you hit or bluff at pot?

Be nice to rookies, move up to a better game when your ready. Or capitalize on the rookie mistakes (no coaching) and build your bankroll.

slogger
07-31-2004, 04:02 AM
Listen dude, Dom's not trying to say your play was wrong. You ran into a pair and a player who was willing to call for a big chunk of chips. It happens, and it's not like the guy snapped you off with J4o. You were behind. And the better hand won.

Was it a good call? Maybe not (might even go with probably not, although I don't know what he had observed of you earlier play). But the point is that this happens all the time and complaining about bad players makes you look like a novice who does not appreciate the value of playing with weak, loose players.

I'm not trying to attack you, just trying to offer some advice. If you post here looking for advice, then you need to be open to criticism.

If you post on here looking for people to commiserate with your frustration about bad players calling your big bets, you're in the wrong place.

Do whatever it takes to accept the weakness of your opponents and take advantage of it every chance you get. The sooner you contain the effect that bad calls and tough beats have on your psyche, that sooner you'll be maximizing your advantage over these bad players.

Best of luck! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mr. D
07-31-2004, 06:43 AM
When people berate stupid players I like to reply: "Don't tap on the aquarium."

They usually stop. (After a couple lol's, which is the most annoying overused chat abbreviation ever, btw)

patrick dicaprio
07-31-2004, 09:16 AM
i guess you are just not the type to let it go. the last four hands i have had where i was a large pocket pair against a small pair i lost on the river, three times of which i was all in and once i lost and was down to 200. after the fourth one i was pissed but i kept it to myself.thats part of the game. i let it go and you should too.

Pat

Sponger15SB
07-31-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Just remember that you have no reason to be defensive. Joke's on them. You make money at this game and chances are very good that they don't. So, why do you care what they think?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay this is gold, thank you for this.

i'm gonna type something like this to the crappy players next time, but LiKe ThIS So THeY KnOW I HAte THEm.

just kidding.

Eder
07-31-2004, 03:33 PM
nice post slogger...reading this forum has allowed me to accept the bad beats with a zen like attitude.

caretaker1
07-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Ditto slogger.

skaboomizzy
07-31-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't think I've ever berated another player. Well, at least not actually in the chat box. Part of the joy of living alone is I can shout a lot of things out loud without someone turning to me with a shocked look on their face.

Probably the worst thing I do when I know I've been sucked out on is type "Yeah, that's about right" in reference to my crummy luck. Then I get up, get a drink of water, and start all over again in a new one after I add that player to my buddy list for hitting a backdoor flush with 7c-5c to beat my flopped set of Ks.

Dylan Wade
07-31-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm not trying to be funny or a jerk but honestly seeing a psychiatrist may help. I believe people who are happy with their lives don't have this sort of talk on the tip of their tongue.

A lot of people make great efforts to restrain themselves. I don't even have to try to not make jerkoff comments. My theory is it's because i'm not a jerkoff.

Best of luck,

Dylan

pukenpete
07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
That's funny. I just yell at the computer screen nowadays and don't say anything the whole time I'm at the table until the "gg" at the very end. I just don't care for table talk. I do find it funny when someone berates me for catching cards. Then I usually type something like "sorry, was trying to get you to fold with a bluff." And he always responds with something like "Well, I had top pair" b/c 10-6o is such a monster he can't let that go. Not that I need to apologize, but I really do want him to think he's the better player and keep making those bad calls.

I do however also break my silence if there's an abusive bully at the table berating others for their bad play. B/c some people just don't stick up for themselves. This is when I can get nasty and tear down his game... for no other reason than he's tilting and this gets him going even more and b/c I derive pleasure from knocking people off their high horses.

MicroBob
07-31-2004, 04:35 PM
when i lose a tough one on the bubble i usually say
"darn"
sometimes i'll follow that up with "no fair!! lol"

sometimes when i get a super-suckout such as my 55 beating an AA or something i have been known to say
"golly...i sure didn't deserve that one"

it's supposed to be fun afterall.

i've also been known to have conversations like this

fishy: you f----ing idiot...how could you call with s--- like that?? you suck?!?! hope you don't lose all your money playing like that!

me: ty

fishy: you are an f----ing homo you queer. only queers play as badly as you!

fishy: blah blah blah you f----ing retard....i can't wait to take all your money...

have fun with it. it's only money. and if you're playing well you should understand that these are the types of players you WANT at your table.
also...by being somewhat silly and humorous you loosen the atmosphere.
looser atmosphere = looser play (some of the time)

Dylan Wade
07-31-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do however also break my silence if there's an abusive bully at the table berating others for their bad play. B/c some people just don't stick up for themselves. This is when I can get nasty and tear down his game... for no other reason than he's tilting and this gets him going even more and b/c I derive pleasure from knocking people off their high horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I could probably find some good holes in their play to point out to the table, I prefer to take the high road and resort only to personal attacks.

It's usually very easy to come up with material. Just look at how stupid they look and work from there. I'll give you examples if you need them.

Dominic
07-31-2004, 04:41 PM
okay, Sparky, I don't remember actually giving you any strategic advice except "stop whining when you get beat."

Dominic
07-31-2004, 04:43 PM
my point exactly except I was using the "tough love" approach.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stupidsucker
07-31-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fishy: you are an f----ing homo you queer. only queers play as badly as you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have San Franciso listed as my city. I get this one a lot. People think they are original I guess whrn they say it.

DontPlayScared
07-31-2004, 07:52 PM
This is simple psychology. Like most times in life, we tear others down when we are unsure of ourselves (The Jr. High School phenomenon).

If you know that you made the correct play, you wouldn't have the need to convince the table how stupid the other guy plays.

BTW, nothing better then typing things to annoy a whiner. Say "nh" every time he gets beat, or keep telling the fish what a good game they are playing.

luv_the_game
08-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I know you've probobly heard it all before, but if you truly feel that he made a poor play then you want him to keep playing that way don't you? Why argue? If you really can't control yourself over bad beats tben maybe you should take up chess. Bad beats will happen, and for the most part if you are on the receiving end of a truly bad beat (55 vs. AQ does not qualify) then you should be glad that you got your money in with the best of it.

Perhaps your really angry with yourself for getting all in when you were behind (slightly)? Or maybe not realizing that he would call with any PP?

I don't jump for joy over bad beats, but I have come to the point where I just make a note on the player and look for them in the future. Bad beats keep the fish playing like fish. Think of it as the cost of doing business.