PDA

View Full Version : JTs on the button

arkady
07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Turn action is a big question for me. What would you people do? River I have to call...i think.

Absolute Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

pokerkai
07-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Id raise on the turn, you might push out a weak queen and slow down the bettor for a free showdown. Im folding to a 3 bet tho.

sthief09
07-30-2004, 06:07 PM
the turn is definitely tough. I think I'd bet at it. He's betting into you for one of two reasons: he just picked something up, or he sees that you're the button and you bet the flop after everyone checked, so he doesn't think you have anything. it's possible he has T9 and just turned a straight, but I would think he'd go for a check-raise.

I'm really not sure how to play this on the turn. On one hand, you want to protect your hand with 3 people to act behind you, but on the other, you don't want to get 3-bet and the pot isn't too big. I'm pretty torn between how you played it and raising the turn.

I definitely think you should raise the river though. Queens-up is unlikely since he would've bet the flop. the most likely hands for him to have are a straight with a 9 (which might not even 3-bet you now since K9 and AK beat him and he can't figure you to be raising with anything but a 9), or jacks-up, which you beat. so I raise the river.

sthief09
07-30-2004, 06:08 PM
any 9 that comes gives him a straight. a J or T might give him the best hand. I don't think you should be raising then folding to a 3-bet. if that's your plan, then you're better off just calling and seeing a showdown.

BottlesOf
07-30-2004, 06:08 PM
How about a limp pf? Would you limp at a full table?

sublime
07-30-2004, 06:10 PM
How about a limp pf? Would you limp at a full table?

Dont let Tall see those questions /images/graemlins/grin.gif

arkady
07-30-2004, 06:14 PM
id raise at a full table, i am not trying to knock people out here.

PokerNoob
07-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Put me in the raise the river camp too. I don't see a set or the very unlikey T9 reraising to what could easily be AK.

sthief09
07-30-2004, 06:18 PM
me likey the raise

Yeknom58
07-30-2004, 08:33 PM
His play looks like Qx and doesn't want to give you any free cards.

I would think a straight would CR so I might have raised the turn and taken the free showdown if I didn't improve.

I think the river raise is pretty neutral, call, raise whatever.

GuyOnTilt
07-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey guys,

I'm not going to say that I like or dislike the preflop raise in this hand. I just want to point out that a big part of why you raise in LP after 2 or 3 limpers with hands like these is to buy the button. That's a HUGE factor, along with the opportunity to sometimes have them fold a hand that dominates you that they might've limped with. You should be more inclined to raise from the CO or LMP after 2 limpers with JTs or T9s than from the Button.

Also, if the limpers are tight or solid, you should rarely raise in these situations with QJs or JTs.

GoT

arkady
07-31-2004, 01:30 AM
villain had T8 of clubs. Go figure.

Vehn
07-31-2004, 03:15 AM
I dont raise preflop here unless my opponents are real idiots. Many players commonly get dealt better hands than jack high.

AceHigh
07-31-2004, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so I raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't he make as much just calling as he would raising on the river with less risk? Since he is in middle position (with respect to the raiser) on a very coordinated board I think calling the river is better.

sfer
07-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I saw this a lot at Absolute. Unimproved overcards betting into a preflop raiser on the flop, and stop n' going the whole way down. Someone coming alive on the turn when an undercard to the board gave them a lone pair. It tending to be the same players who did this sort of erratic betting, and knowing who lets you punish them.

lil'
07-31-2004, 09:44 AM
I dont raise preflop here unless my opponents are real idiots. Many players commonly get dealt better hands than jack high.
I've had mixed success with the raise. There are times it works nicely, and there are times when some has Q-10 or K-J and it comes back to bite me in the ass.

imported_stealthcow
07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
did UTG+1 have AT ? tahts the only hand i can put him on

arkady
07-31-2004, 02:25 PM
I actually limp in with this type of holding and that many limpers, but decided to mix it up a bit. For anyone paying attention it is good advertising.