PDA

View Full Version : Top two pairs

kingstalker
07-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Pokerstars .50/1 I have 58.70 in front of me
I am dealt /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif9 on the button
Two limpers,I call,SB completes and the BB checks
Flop comes down /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8
checked around to LP who bets 4, I raise to 12,SB calls,and now the BB check raises to 20,LP folds and I move all in,SB calls,BB calls.Although the BB check raise suprises me I figure its very unlikely he has J-10 because he is in the BB could easily have bottom two or something similar.
Turn blank, river blank
SB /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5
BB: J-10o
Was moving all in correct or was this a situation where im bound to lose all my chips?

bsiu5
07-30-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't like the all-in play cause your committing your chips hoping he doesn't have something. You did say you didn't put him on J-10 or thought you didn't. But J-10 is good multiway nut straight (there were 4 limped players in front of him) and wouldn't you check J-10o in BB position. I'd be very cautious when you raised the LP and SB calls and BB raises. You went all-in right there but you had no idea what LP,SB, or BB had. You were hoping they wouldn't call. You have to remember a couple things 1) by the time the bets got back to the BB he only put in $1 and the pot was about $20 so not good odds to raise and go for a straight draw or flush draw.

here's how i would be thinking. He doesn't have 88,99,QQ or AK since it was limped to him and he was BB. He also wouldn't raise with KQ after 2 bets in front of him. so he's got 2pair or straight. Which ones though. BB would probably have folded or called with 9-8. The only hands BB would have raised is Q-9, Q-8, J-10. your hoping he's got the Q-8 in which you win or Q-9 in which you split. J-10 in which you lose.

Here's how i'd play it:
I play aggressive with 2 pairs with a possible nut straight showing cause if they call you know they got something. you could put everybody on a draw after LP bet $4. I'd raise to maybe $20 at most (you still got over 50% of your stack). if SB or BB call or raise they got you beat cause why would they spend $24 if they only spent $1 already. odds aren't in their favor over a draw or a weak 2pair, they would be hoping like you. If LP, was on a draw he still might call the $12 raise since he put in an initial $4 so that's why i'd raise to $20. So after your $20, (BB can play this 2 ways raise you all-in so you don't pick up a better hand than his or give you and SB a chance to catch your boat, flush, or a better straight say KJ and 10 comes on turn). If BB raises over then fold. if he calls then it's you, SB, and BB seeing the turn. You got outs to make a boat now since you know they got something good now. I'd want to see the turn and river as cheap as possible to hope for my nut. Since your on the button, if i was BB and didn't raise on the flop after your $20, the turn came rag i'd check on the turn enticing you to bluff the pot. In which you don't because you want another card to help you on the river. After that you can call the river bet if it's not to big, which it probably won't be since they were blanks. if the bet is big, lay it down. you'd still have $$$ instead of buying back in. the beauty of no-limit is you can over-bet so the odds aren't in their favor to draw. Just make sure no one catches onto what your doing. Good luck.