PDA

View Full Version : JJ vs. AK played horrible - anyone play it different?

RustyCJ
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($18.30)
MP1 ($16.40)
MP2 ($33.90)
MP3 ($14.05)
CO ($21.65)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($65.08)</font>
SB ($18.75)
BB ($24.15)
UTG ($33.80)
<font color="C00000">UTG+1 ($90.85)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls $2, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,50,5,25, UTG+1 calls $2.

Flop: ($8) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $4.

Turn: ($16) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG+1 calls $8.

River: ($32) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, UTG+1 calls $25.

Final Pot: $82
<font color="green">Main Pot: $82, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($82).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows Ad Kd (two pair, kings and eights).
Hero shows Jd Jh (full house, jacks full of eights).
Outcome: Hero wins $82. </font>

Obviously UTG played his hand terrible from PF on. Once I made the fullhouse on the turn, my question was what does UTG have and how can I get his money.

I actually considered whether he might have KK, (but I think I have to dismiss it since he didn't raise or reraise PF), so I put him on some kind of K.

I stayed somewhat small with my turn bet, more so than I normally would, I wanted him to come along, once he called the turn, I figured he would call almost anything on the river besides an all in, I figured $25 looked good, he might think I'm trying to steal it and he might call if he has anything at all.

Were my bet amounts ok? I typically can recognize if I'm a favorite or an underdog and I play tight, I try not to get involved in marginal hands until I get more experience, so for now, I have lots of questions about betting amounts.

bsiu5
07-30-2004, 07:43 PM
I think how you played it was right. i think the UTG was calling you down no matter what since he didn't put you on the 8's and was hoping you would bluff, i play this way sometimes if i think you'll bluff the pot when a pair hits and i have pair high-kicker. I mean, if you were in his position what would be a good way to maximize his winnings. maybe he thought if he check-raised you on the flop you would have called and folded on the turn after he bet. he would have won, what $6. from his point of view, he was risky and passive, but had a chance to win more money calling then raising the flop. he could have gotten in alot more trouble if he played this way. check-raised on flop, you called, turn comes jack (good for you bad for him)he bets on the turn, you go all-in. maybe he didn't want the pot to get big and for him to make a really tough call on a big bet.

i wouldn't put you on the 8's cause you kept betting. i sometimes like to check flop, check-raise turn, raise river when i have a set. That's why i may have thought my pair of kings would hold. that might not have been the best way either.

Another way could have been bet the flop, he called, now if you checked the turn, he may have thought he called your bluff. on the river he checks or bets and you re-raise he might think the jack helped you on the turn giving you a pair. It would be hard to put you on jacks with so little info. he might think he has the best hand. he wouldn't put you on any 8 or AA since you didn't check the flop and raise the turn.

RustyCJ
07-31-2004, 01:26 AM
I think villian played the hand terrible here, he should have raised PF, I certainly would, probably to around $2.

I would call on the button with JJ, then he makes a bet on the flop and I'd fold, he played his hand awful from the git go.