PDA

View Full Version : Please point out my mistakes in this hand

hummusx
07-30-2004, 04:05 PM
so I can get better and not be mad at myself as often. Should I have pushed on the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP (t500)
<font color="C00000">Button (t1360)</font>
SB (t1675)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1735)</font>
UTG (t2730)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, Button calls t125, SB folds.

Turn: (t400) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t400) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t700</font>, Hero calls t450.

Final Pot: t1800

Cleveland Guy
07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I'd probably push on the turn, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

What was his hand? If he just had 10x - with the x not being a good spade, he probably folds.

If he has a 7 - he's probably still in, and if he has A,Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 or A,Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 he's probably not going anywhere anyways.

Looks like he might have hit a 2 outer, (I'm guessing he had the 10).

I also agree- why are you calling the all in river bet?

I'm not trying to sound mean, but you have posted here a lot looking for advice, you seem to think others are bluffing you a lot. Either it's cause your a bluffer? or you don't want to believe the better hand is out there.

Read these boards for advice - it's helped my game a lot.

unfrgvn
07-30-2004, 04:22 PM
I suppose it seems more obvious to me then it did to you at the time, but why in the world would you call his raise on the river? He called $125 on your flop bet, you don't think he has a 7 or a 10? I think you played this backwards, you bet when you had the worst hand(flop and river) and checked when you had the best hand, on the turn. If you really think you have the best hand then check and call on the river. With 2 pair and a flush board there is no worse hand that will call, you only get called or raised when you are beat. You might have got him out by pushing on the turn, I would have at least bet the pot.

DarrenX
07-30-2004, 04:25 PM
any time there's 2-pair on the board there's a good possibility of a full house- think about what he was calling on the flop with- it's possible he's on a flush draw too since he smooth-called your flop bet. However, when the board has 2-pair at the end and you're raised, I'm thinking it's pretty safe that you're beat, most likely by a full house, possibly but not likely by the A-high flush (can you think of any other hands with which he would re-open the betting?)

FWIW, I like your almost pot-sized bet on the flop, and I agree with your check when the flush came, as more often than not I'll get a substantial bet out of the other guy- I probably check the turned flush 60-70% of the time (unless it's a low-card flush). Good sized bet at the end that tells you if raised you're beat, although you may have been able to accomplish the same thing with the same bet as the flop (125).

NegativeEV
07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't understand the bet on the flop at a low level (i.e. $11-$33) tourney. You have two mediocre overcards and a 2nd nut flush draw which is not a great hand. If the 7 is out you are going to get raised here and will need to let go of your flush draw (probably the same story if the 10 is out). If the 7 is in the SB, you are getting a free look at the turn- take it.

On the turn I would probably bet 1.5 times pot to make it clearly wrong for someone to draw to their kicker if they are holding the 10 (and therefore force them out of the pending full house that surfaced on the river).

On the river, I would grudgingly check and fold with this board (assuming I was called on my 1.5x pot bet on the flop).

In short- take the free card on the flop, bet pot or more on the turn, check fold the river. IMO.

Potowame
07-30-2004, 04:35 PM
I would almost be inclined to raise preflop here. K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 handed is a decent hand, with a weak limp from the button and sb complete, and bubble fear.

Make it $175 to go , fold to a reraise. any thoughts on that line. I am still working on being aggresive at the right times. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hummusx
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to sound mean, but you have posted here a lot looking for advice, you seem to think others are bluffing you a lot. Either it's cause your a bluffer? or you don't want to believe the better hand is out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. It doesn't sound 'mean'. If I couldn't take criticism, I certainly wouldn't post hands that I didn't think I played well on here. =) I guess hopefully I'll hear it enough times that it'll get through my head. I know it, even before I started posting on here and people were telling me.

On a side note, I have read just about every post on the first 30 pages of most of the forums in here, so I am trying to absorb as much of everyone's advice as I can. I appreciate your responses.

DontPlayScared
07-30-2004, 05:18 PM
For what it's worth, I would have played it much like you, until his reraise. Out of position, I like the check after the turn, especially against aggressive opponents... leaves the door open for them to represent a flush.

Of course, I don't claim to be a superstar. Just my two cents.

gergery
07-30-2004, 06:51 PM
I check preflop with KJs as you need to put in too much $ to try to get a fold in relation to the hands value. (But I’ll lay money that Strassa pushes this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bet the flop like you did as you can often pick up the flop no problem with a paired board and you likely have ~9-15 outs if called.

After he calls, I put him on JT, T9 as most likely but see a wide range of hands as possible from AT, KT to 87, 76, A7, K7s, many flushdraw, straight draw (87), low pockets or even disbelieving bluffer all being possible.

On turn, I bet much harder. Think of the most likely danger-hands that your opponent has and charge them. I bet the most I think an O with a T will call, probably ~400 here, and offering those odds every worse hand calling is making a significant mistake. I don’t like pushing as the next best hands here are at best 5:1 against improving so you want their money, while the better hands will always call you.

I check the river and might call small bet, but more likely fold, and its &gt; 50% that he had a T or 7 to call flop bet.

--Greg