PDA

View Full Version : Sweat?

DontTellMama
07-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm a newbie so please forgive this basic question. I read people requesting others to come "sweat" them because they are heading towards or are in the money of a tournament. What is the player asking others to do (sweat)? Cheer them on? Ridicule/distract the competition? Give advice via private messages? Thanks for your responses.

La Brujita
07-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Basically looking for someone to cheer them on.

It would be very bad form to ask them to ridicule the competition and I don't think I have ever seen anyone ask for that.

People aren't looking for advice either usually, although there was one somewhat polemic case of someone mentioning looking for advice. I think that person might have been joking.

Best regards

DontTellMama
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Is "sweat" what is going on when people not playing in the tournament show up when its down to 3-4 and start messaging "call", "go all-in", "you got this", etc. to one of the players? I always wondered why people would be watching the finals of a $10 tournament. Thanks

La Brujita
07-30-2004, 04:18 PM
That is sweat's angry cousin the railbird. There is a fine line between the two. If we sweat here it is usually good natured and for good luck purposes.

There are many reasons to sweat including you are watching your friend, it makes you play better when others are watching you (power of reciprocity), you learn about the game watching good players etc.

Good form dictates when you sweat you don't comment on the run of play or decisions when they are still occurring.

Just my opinion on the above question.