PDA

View Full Version : bonus whoring, worth my time?

BIGRED
07-30-2004, 03:17 PM
I see a lot of posts about bonus whoring. I've never done it, but I guess it's basically chasing where ever there is a bonus opportunity, clearing it, and moving onto the next one. I'm wondering if this is worth someone's time IF that person is already playing with a rake kickback deal at one site. The reason why I say this is because in order to clear a bonus you need to SEE THE FLOP for a certain number of hands. Where as for a rake deal you just need to get the first two cards. So wouldn't my time be better spent in playing at a site where I have a rake deal rather than bonus whoring, especially if you're playing at 3/6 and above?

scotnt73
07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
at most sights you have to be sitting at 500 raked hands or whatever. you dont have to see the flop. the pot just has to be raked wether you fold preflop or not.

blackhand
07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
IMO, it depends on the type of bonus, and the quality of the room offering it.

Absolute has some great bonuses, and poker-strategy.org offers an automatic 10% rake rebate through them, so it's easy to really earn some $$ playing there. But there are several aspects of that room that make it less attractive than Party, Stars, Paradise, etc. Some of those being, somewhat shoddy software, lower player popuation, etc.

If it's a decent room, and they've got a stellar bonus, I'll give it a go. I pretty much always try jump on reload bonuses at the bigger sites, but when I'm not working off one of those, I'm earning rake rebate $$ and pending bonuses at Absolute.

blackhand
07-30-2004, 03:26 PM
I misread your post a bit. Sorry /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think it depends on the room you've got a rake kickback/rebate at, but I think that in order to contribute to the rake - and thus earn your rake rebate - you actually have to take part in the hand. i.e. at least post one of the blinds.

To me, rake rebate programs are really the way to go. Pick your favorite site, play a lot of hands, and you'll earn $100-$150 a month (depending on the limits and the # of raked hands).

pudley4
07-30-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of posts about bonus whoring. I've never done it, but I guess it's basically chasing where ever there is a bonus opportunity, clearing it, and moving onto the next one. I'm wondering if this is worth someone's time IF that person is already playing with a rake kickback deal at one site. The reason why I say this is because in order to clear a bonus you need to SEE THE FLOP for a certain number of hands. Where as for a rake deal you just need to get the first two cards. So wouldn't my time be better spent in playing at a site where I have a rake deal rather than bonus whoring, especially if you're playing at 3/6 and above?

[/ QUOTE ]

Example:

$100 bonus at Party: Need 700 raked hands to clear (you do not need to contribute to the pot for the hand to count; you just need to be dealt in). Play 2/4 - takes approx 1000* hands to get 700 raked hands.

Bonus after 1000 hands = $100

Rake Kickback: 20%* of your rake back. Play Party 2/4 - each hand is raked approx $1*. Play 1000 hands = $1000 in rake. Your share is approx $100*. 20% of your share is $20.

Total rake back after 1000 hands = $20

*Note: These numbers are estimates. Your rakeback % may be higher or lower. The rake taken during the hands may be higher or lower. Etc. However, there is such a vast difference between the two that even with these incorrect assumptions, the bonus whoring is well worth the time.

Inthacup
07-30-2004, 03:54 PM
If you're playing 3-6 or above, it's only worth your time if:

1. The site you plan to whore has the limits you play and the relative softness of competition vs. your regular site
2. You don't use your regular bankroll for the whoring. If you have to withdraw most/all of your BR to whore, it will definitely end up being not worth your time.

Bonus whoring is most beneficial to new players who are trying to build their bakroll. As a player moves up in limits and skill level, bonus whoring becomes less and less profitable.

For someone multi-tabling 10-20 or above, bonus whoring is generally a waste of time.

Cup

BIGRED
07-30-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Example:

$100 bonus at Party: Need 700 raked hands to clear (you do not need to contribute to the pot for the hand to count; you just need to be dealt in). Play 2/4 - takes approx 1000* hands to get 700 raked hands.

Bonus after 1000 hands = $100

Rake Kickback: 20%* of your rake back. Play Party 2/4 - each hand is raked approx $1*. Play 1000 hands = $1000 in rake. Your share is approx $100*. 20% of your share is $20.

Total rake back after 1000 hands = $20

*Note: These numbers are estimates. Your rakeback % may be higher or lower. The rake taken during the hands may be higher or lower. Etc. However, there is such a vast difference between the two that even with these incorrect assumptions, the bonus whoring is well worth the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good break down. According to your estimate which I think is pretty close, bonus whoring does seem better, no doubt.

Let's see what happens if I do the same math for 5/10 6-max, which is what I play.

rake per hand $1.5
1000 hands -> $1500
With 6-max tables, thats $1500/6 = $250.
I get 20% back, which is $50.

Dam, bonus whoring does seem good... For some reason tho, I had it in my mind that you needed to contribute to the rake, i.e, get money in the pot, for the hand to count. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the clear example.