PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sage Advice

M50Paul
07-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Ok I am realtively new but have been reading books, playing on-line and reading all these posts. This has been very helpfull and I have learned much. One aspect of my learning is palying local home games. I flat out tell them I am new and looking to learning. Situation: I played at a local home game last nigth with 7 players including me. 4 were very strong and sponsored the games and there were 3 knida newbies including me. The other two newbies were not all that verse in the games as it was clear they didnt fully understand the basic rules of play and one was having a very difficult time reading his cards and making wild bluffs. The other 4 were very knowledgeable. We played HORSE ( RAZZ, Stud, Stud 8 or better, Texas Holdem, and Omaha hi/lo ) I had nevered played the split pot games and apprehensive but to me this is all part of my learning experience. I played 4 hours and lost $60 ($2-4) limits. Mostly got burned in Omamha hi/lo. Did very well in the other games. Was doing well and last hour was my down fall.

What I obersreved was this: the 4 strong players played very loose in the beging and tightened to at the end. They talked amongst themselves with silly comments like I just needed that 8 or whatever card and I would have made my straight. In many cases when they made these comments the 8s were already played so.... intertesting. Although not sure if the other 2 newbies got the picture but I sure did. They wanted us chasing.

Advice: I would like to contiue to play but given that background am I totally nuts? Are the odds too much in their favor. I dont mind loosing if I am learning as long as I dont over pay for the lesson. I was going to give them another try what you think?

Nottom
07-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Gotta start playing somewhere. I'd recommend "practicing" by playing the online micro-games (don't know anywhere that has RAZZ though).

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Planet has RAZZ

SheridanCat
07-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Since you've identified where you are in the heirarchy, you can play this game. You have identified the "good" players, and perhaps you'll find they aren't as good as you think.

I can say, as someone who has played in games with new players, that these guys are definitely passing out disinformation regarding chasing, etc. I see it all the time. I don't do much of it myself, and if asked directly by someone about a hand, I may give them the real scoop. However, I don't volunteer anything.

One thing I always see is inexperienced or even experienced Hold'em players who are playing Omaha/8 for the first (or one of the first) times playing way too many hands. In fact, in our Hold'em/Omaha rotation home game we actually advise new players to fold every Omaha hand until they get more comfortable with the game. Do they listen? Never, and they usually pay the price.

Can you hang in? Probably. I expect you know more, from a theoretical viewpoint, than those "good" players. Now, you just need to practice what you know.

Good luck,

T

illunious
07-31-2004, 02:55 AM
x