PDA

View Full Version : Hand in Super Thursday $150+12 NLHE... what do you do?

allenciox
07-30-2004, 03:10 PM
There are about 50 players left out of close to 800 starting. Your table is playing quite tight, since you got here, which was not long ago. You are in the cutoff; you are the second high stack at your table with T26000, while the button is third high stack with T23000. Small blind has ~T6k, while big blind has ~T8k. Blinds are 300/600. You are dealt 8d9d, it is folded to you.

1) What do you bet (or do you fold)?

2) Assume that you bet 1600, the button raises you to 2600, and everyone else folds. What do you do now?

3) Assume that you call the raise, and the flop comes 9h 6h 2s. What do you do now?

4) Assume that you check to the raiser. Now he moves his chips all-in. What do you do now? Also, what do you think he has?

Results later... feel free to critique my actions, which are above.

gergery
07-30-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) What do you bet (or do you fold)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good spot for semi-steal raise. I like your 1600 raise.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Assume that you bet 1600, the button raises you to 2600, and everyone else folds. What do you do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. I expect he has a pretty darn good hand with a reraise that small (AA-88, AK/AQs), or he figures you for a steal that you’ll fold and he has a middling hand like 77, ATs that can see a flop well too. But you have 20:1 implied odds and a decent chance to hit a big hand, so call.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Assume that you call the raise, and the flop comes 9h 6h 2s. What do you do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

With my read, checking is probably best, but betting 5k into a 6.5k pot might be ok too since he’s almost as likely to have overpairs as overcards given how often they are dealt. Throw in that the read might be wrong and he might now have a heart and maybe betting 5k is good alternative to push out draws and overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Assume that you check to the raiser. Now he moves his chips all-in. What do you do now? Also, what do you think he has?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet of 18k into 6k pot doesn’t feel like strong hand like overpair. I'd put him specifically on AK-AT suited, or maybe QQ. I guess AhQh and his minraise was trying to get you to bluff with a worse ace. I reluctantly fold, as I figure he’s got ~6-15 outs with more outs being more likely, and I don't want a coin flip even with slight advantage.

I don’t play at levels this high, so I look forward to other replies.

--Greg

Grivan
07-30-2004, 04:34 PM
1) Attempt to steal the blinds. 1800 is my standard raise here.

2) Call and see a flop.

3) Make a good size bet 1/2 the pot or more. You should likely take it down right here.

4) You can't call after you checked you have to fold here.

davidross
07-30-2004, 04:49 PM
I fold pre-flop. SB is in that < 10 BB range and is in a great spot to punish a steal raise. I want a better showdown hand to raise here.

allenciox
07-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Gergery, you had him pegged here... he had AhKh. I figured him for two big cards, possibly with a flush draw. I went ahead and called figuring --- it's a tossup if he does have the flush draw and the overcards, and I am a strong favorite if he only has the overcards. Turned out a heart came on the river and I went out of the tourney soon after. I did NOT put him on top pair or overpair with a bet this big (he wants me to call in that situation, so he would try to sucker me in) although I figured he MIGHT be on second or third pair.

By the way, if I had bet the flop here, I imagine he would have raised me all-in, and I would not have known whether he was raising me all-in with overpair, flush draw or top pair bigger kicker.