PDA

View Full Version : Party $100: A change of pace with wired ace

JSD
07-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Party $100NL ($1/$2 blinds)

I'm in the BB with black Aces and my $100 buy-in. UTG+1 limps. MP1 limps. SB completes. I make it $10 to go. UTG+1 and MP1 call. SB folds.

UTG+1 ($200) plays nearly every hand for any amount. He's also been winning a fair number of hands without a showdown and had one big bluff snapped off on the river (he fired a good sized bet on a flush card and was looked up - he had complete trash). It seems like he's backed off his bluffs a little since that hand.

Flop comes K/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif. I decide this is a pretty good flop to mix things up a bit. I check to represent scared Queens. UTG+1 bets $10 into the $32 pot. I think he would do this with any two cards. MP1 folds and I just call.

Turn is the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, UTG+1 bets $16. What is your play to extract maximum value out of this hand?

And probably more importantly, what do you think about my line in general?

JrJordan
07-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Doesn't sound like he's putting too much effort into this pot with the weak bets. I think any raise beyond minimum will make him fold. Do a minraise, pray he raises back, and when he doesn't make a similar sized bet on the river.

pokerstudAA
08-01-2004, 09:14 PM
How had you been playing up to this point? Would they immediately put you on AK, KK, or AA if you made this raise from the blind?

I think I would have check raised him on the flop. But a call would not be so bad either with the board looking the way it did. It definately was not scary and if you were lucky enough to be facing his K with good kicker the check raise on the flop might pay off. If he was playing any two cards the check call probably work more to your advantage.

Once the second diamond comes I want to make sure he doesnt pull of some BS flush and would raise him up at least half++ the amount in the pot about 40-70.

blackaces13
08-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Min raise. Then go all in on the river.

fireman664
08-01-2004, 10:10 PM
I think you have to ask yourself, is the free or cheap card you are willing to give him gonna bust you, or him. Id rather take a good pot from a bad player right there, than let him take my stack by catching a miracle card (or flush card) for cheap. Id push and make him decide right then and there to draw to the flush (if he has it) or to call with his K if he has that. If you catch a diamond on the turn, and he pushes in...then what? I'd get all in on the turn. If you take it down with that bet id be happy with that too.

JSD
08-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I check-minraised, he folded. He likely had complete garbage.

I know its generally bad to give free cards in NL and AA isn't strong enough to slowplay most of the time, but against an opponent like this on this flop, it seemed okay. I actually thought about calling the turn and checking the river, hoping to induce another big bet from him, but this puts me in a tough spot if the flush card comes. The pot was already pretty big and I was happy to take it on the turn.