PDA

View Full Version : AK, played ok? I won but still would like comments

RustyCJ
07-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($53.90)
<font color="C00000">UTG+2 ($30.90)</font>
MP1 ($22)
MP2 ($21.25)
MP3 ($32.50)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($26)</font>
Button ($24.25)
SB ($60.45)
BB ($22.25)
UTG ($58.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $3</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>,

Flop: ($6.75) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($12.75) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, UTG+2 calls $9.

River: ($36.75) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $8 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 calls $8.

Final Pot: $52.75
<font color="green">Main Pot: $52.75, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($52.75).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Jd Ad (two pair, aces and jacks).
Hero shows As Kd (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $52.75. </font>

This worked out great, the PF raise by UTG+2 looked like he didn't want a call, I thought maybe a weaker ace, QQ or JJ.

PF I didn't want to reraise to give him a shot to All in if he does have KK and I figure his $3 raise is big enough to shut out everyone behind me.

On the flop, good flop for me, I figure I'm probably way ahead here, still a chance I'm behind to AA or tied with AK, I'd have to be very unlucky to be up against KK here. Looked like a good spot to smooth call and let him hang himself if possible.

When the A came on the turn I was certain I'm ahead now, no longer fearing AA or KK. When he just called the raise I figure he definitely has the weaker ace or I'm way behind, nothing left to do at the river but all in it.

Lumpy
07-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I would reraise PF, and raise on the flop, but I am a rookie, and the walking definition of LAG. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayfare
07-30-2004, 12:57 PM
With a $25 party stack, you are going to get yourself all-in too quickly with a reraise of AK. You either want to hit and get lots of money in, or miss and get out / bluff when he checks. I do not think you want to ever reraise a normal player with only AK on a $25 party stack because you will probably be at best 50/50 if you get a call. If you fold him then you lose situations like the hero described here, because this opponent obviously greatly overvalues his AJ and is willing to be trapped by a well-played AK.

I think the hand was played extremely well.

jacksfull
07-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I agree with Wayfare. AK is a top hand, but it is a drawing hand. If you get bet into after the flop misses you, you've got to be able to get away from it. You've managed to isolate a player without risking too much of your stack. You're in position on him, and when he bets the flop, you could have raised. But your decision to call was sound. The only risk you take is that he catches a miracle card on the turn -- his second pair or his straight card. But it is probably a risk worth taking, and when you saw that Ace, you were correct in going in. Nice hand.

schwza
07-30-2004, 03:46 PM
i would reraise preflop. you are almost certainly ahead, so charge him now. if he pushes, you call and are likely ahead.

i like the smooth-call on the flop. i never would have done it, but i think it's pretty clever - i think that's one element i should add to my game.

the rest is fine.

Wayfare
07-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Schwza, you actually think you are more likely to get calls from dominated hands than any pocket pair? You are a dog to any pocket pair with AK, and do not gain EV from getting in with them preflop. Additionally, as you can see from this hand, many players at these stakes will whittle away their entire stack with TPGK, and you want to promote that as much as possible. If he had reraised with AK here, he would have probably gotten nothing more than the initial bet. By smooth-calling the flop you increase the liklihood your skill advantage will come into play.

I reiterate that I think the push preflop is terrible.

RustyCJ
07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
There are some places I feel that a reraise is warranted, but here, I figured his raise was large enough to fold the rest of the field. And since I called, that says I have a decent hand too, anyone else that is going to come in or raise is going to have to have a pretty nice hand.

The smooth call on the flop is something I normally don't do, I don't give cheap or free cards, I've been burnt too much by them in the past. The J on the end actually scared me the most, I can see some Party fish having JJ and trying to spike another at the river.

This flop was harmless, no serious threat of a draw out against me, I probably have the best hand, not really worried about overcards unless he had AA, which I'm very unlikely to see another A if he does have AA.

When the A came I was about 95% sure I was best and was hoping he had something like AQ and would stay with me to the river.

vulturesrow
07-30-2004, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AK is a top hand, but it is a drawing hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be rude, but I really hate it when people say this. Yes, AK is not a made hand but it is stronger than any non pair hand and is only a dog to 2 of them. It may seem like semantics or an unimportant subtlety to some, but Ive found that playing AK like its "just a drawing hand" makes me more passive instead of playing it like the premium hand it is.

Chris

Snow
07-31-2004, 03:53 AM
A push isnt all that terrible because of the extra value he´s getting from the possibility that the opponent folds. However calling an all-in with AK is a much diffrent story.

Generally i agree that the be best play is probably to take a flop with the hand.

Regarding re-raising i think it could be a good play for information about the villains hand and valuebetting your own hand.