PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay this hand - 2 hours into starts 10+1 rebuy

vandalay
07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Ok, 2 hours into Stars rebuy, I am sitting in 40/400 place with 23k in chips. The chip leader at my table by a little.

Blinds are at 200/400 with 25 ante meaning 825 in the pot.

EP limps
MP limps
LP limps
SB calls
I look down at my AQo in the BB.
I have 2 choices here, raise or call. Being agressive all the time, and knowning that I need chips (100k+) to even think about the final table, I choose to raise to 2000 to see who is on draws and who is for real.

EP calls
MP folds
LP calls
SB folds

Almost exacly what I want here. I am now getting 3/2 on my money as I think that AQ is best hand.

8025 in the pot the flop comes out
3,4,4 rainbow

Up to this point at this table, I had made 2 plays in a simlar situation. The first 1 I raised in the BB. First one I had 88 and the flop was 732 and I all-ined it with 1 caller with his AK. The second one I had JJ and pushed with a 10high board, showed the cards after no caller.
The reason I am telling you this is they SHOULD expect that I had an overpair of some kind.

With this knowedge I bet 6000 into the 8025 pot wanting to take it down right there.

EP thinks and calls
LP thinks and calls.

At this point, I say... well it was fun trying to outplay you, but Ill let you have the pot now. 26025 in the pot. I have 15k left, one guy has 12k left and the other around 8k.

Turn is an Ace (rainbow again)

Well crap.... now I have AA44 with Q kicker. I decide to push hopeing that someone was staying in with AJ or A10 and would like to gamble for the rest of thier stack.

EP calls
LP calls

EP turns over A4 (4's full of aces)
LP turns over 33 (3's full of 4's)

Qustion: Can I possible have put either person on these hands? Once I hit my 2 pair, should I have mucked anyway as they might have a 4?

I honestly put both on an overpair at the time, or A10-AJ range.

Calling 2k raise with A4.. I guess I want you at my table.
Calling 33 raise with someone that has shown the overpairs several times... I guess I want you also.

I was stunned to see the A4 and the 33. I said to myself A10 and 99 where there hands.

Let me know what you think of my play.

-VI

JARID
07-30-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Qustion: Can I possible have put either person on these hands? Once I hit my 2 pair, should I have mucked anyway as they might have a 4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, tough one. Here is the thing. Based on your previous two plays they probably DID put you on an overpair as you suspected. Alas, the trap is set.
2nd, I think you suspected you were in trouble when they both called your 6k bet. (EP Calls 33% of his stack and the other 42% with overcards?) Pushing all-in here I think you subconciously settled into your fate.
If there were only one caller, I think it would be more reasonable to think you had the best hand on the turn, perhaps putting someone on 66-88, but with two callers here it looks like trouble.
Having said all this, it is tough to get away from here. I suspect if I (or you) were playing my best tourney game, it could be done.

[ QUOTE ]
I was stunned to see the A4 and the 33. I said to myself A10 and 99 where there hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be stunned to see both these hands too, but not one of them. 99 is good, though probably would have pushed over you on the flop. Why A10?

-Jarid

vandalay
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Ok, here is the info I had at the time...

the EP person had (21K to begin)... just based on the play I didnt put him on a strong Ace or high pair. Maybe he was playing A4 when he folded after limping... who knows...
limped with AJ, A10, A9, KQ, KJ, AJ, 56, 78
raised with JJ, AK
Allined with 88

The LP person I had only written 3 hands down for him.
reraise with nuts, reraise with 2nd nut, call with flush draw.

Basically, I made a mistake and wasnt good enough to get away from the hand. Yes, I didnt have to take my stab at the pot after the flop, but I really thought I was going to win... then the 2 pair... I just didnt see either of them having those hands....

That being the case, did I raise enough preflop? 2025 in the pot, I raise 1600.

With the hand, I really wanted to build the pot early. You need chips to get to the final table and I didnt want to depend on coin flips on the future /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again
-VI

davidross
07-30-2004, 01:26 PM
If I raise AQ from the BB I don't want any callers. So here is where you need to choose an amount that will fold everyone, and If you don't think you can do it, then I think I just check. If you want to start running over people push all-in, but that seems silly for the amount in the pot.

When someone calls my raise like that, I'm thinking pocket pairs, so when I miss my hand I generally won't fire at the pot. If someone called my raise with 77, he's hoping I'm on AK, and won't fold on this flop.

BOth of them played it poorly, but you misread them as well, and that will cost you in the long run. You can't assume everyone plays properly.