PDA

View Full Version : Which site for NL SnG $5 or $10 buyin?

Unarmed
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
First deposit anywhere online.
I've been playing for about 8 months in home SNGs and I'm winning pretty consistently (against weak opposition)

Primary goal is to improve my poker (I don't care too much about the money, breaking even while improving would make me far happier than making $$ and not)

Thanks for any and all help.

Phill S
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
i think stars is the best, however party has its weak players going for it.

the big reason i choose stars is that it has the better software, amazing support, and the opposition are pretty weak low buy-in anyway.

party has much weaker opposition, and it has the 10 seat tables over stars 9 seat. (i worked out a while back if you get 40% ROI on stars, you need only 33% if my memory serves, if your at the same buy in).

one advantage youll get in stars to counter this is the turbo games, the blinds go up in 5 minute intervals so it can get frantic, but it means the match is only 40 or so minutes start to finsih and you get a lower percentage rake to boot.

you also have the advantage of a larger stack, so you dont have to play hands in a committed manner too often.

all in all i feel that stars has the best balance for it, but im sure ill be disagreed with.

i have no first hand knowledge of party (rejects my plastic for some reason) so i cant be fully objective. perhaps someone who has been on both for significant periods can help clear up the issue of easier opponants.

Phill

TylerD
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
PokerStars has the best software/structure and also the best competition, so I guess that would be perfect for you. 1500 starting chips and 10 minute blinds means there is a lot of play in these games and more skill than the 800 chips and fast blind escalation you find at Party.

Martin Aigner
07-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Stars has the better support, better structure, more chips to start with, but at Party you donīt have to wait that long and the players are worse. I used to play at both sites but have closed my account at stars, since IMHO Iīve seen win the worst hand way too often. Bad beats happen, thatīs no problem, but I had no trust in the Stars software, so I quit playing there. This is very subjective though, since there are tons of players who trust Stars.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

JayCo
07-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Ditto what Tyler said- PokerStars has better support, software, and competition.

I would add that 2-table SNGs may be even better for practicing, since for one buy-in you get the opportunity to play at a full table and shorthanded twice (goes back to a full table when 1/2 the players get knocked out).

I also still like the look & feel of Paradise software, and the same can be said about the high amount of "play" since the blinds start low & go up slowly.

J