PDA

View Full Version : Baseball fans, help with a friendly debate

ThaSaltCracka
07-30-2004, 01:56 AM
Okay, me and several of my buddies have this on going debate about Jay Buhner. To remain impartial I will not state my opinion at this time, but answer this one question.
Is Jay Buhner in the top ten of RF for his era(1990-2000)? I am not talking about great players who retired in the early 90's or great players who started playing in the late 90's. Where does Buhner rank?

offTopic
07-30-2004, 03:23 AM
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of people, but I'd put:

- Gwynn
- Sosa
- Walker
- O'Neill
- Juan Gonzalez

ahead of him, with Manny Ramirez and Shawn Green having not played enough of the decade.

I didn't look at every year, but it seems like the majority of the teams platoon in RF. I was hard-pressed to find more than a handful of teams that even had a regular RF (> say, 120 games).

Seems like most of the studs were playing CF and LF. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

WillMagic
07-30-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, I didn't think so, but now I'm looking at his career stats, and they are impressive. Buhner only had two years between 1991 and 2000 in which he had less than twenty home runs. Though his batting average was low, he drew far more than his share of walks, and his OPS was very high throughout the decade.

So, for right fielders that played throughout the decade, he's definitely in the top ten.

Will

Cubswin
07-30-2004, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To remain impartial I will not state my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am not talking about great players who retired in the early 90's or great players who started playing in the late 90's

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the context clues im willing to wager $100 where you stand on this issue.

cubs

jwvdcw
07-30-2004, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To remain impartial I will not state my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am not talking about great players who retired in the early 90's or great players who started playing in the late 90's

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the context clues im willing to wager $100 where you stand on this issue.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

lol..I was thinking the exact same thing when I read those lines about not including people who finished or started during that time frame.

jwvdcw
07-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but how on earth does an argument like this start? I mean, top 10? Thats barely above average! Not like you're making some outrageouse claim.

A:Buhner is definitely slightly above average for his position during that time.

B:No way man! He is definitely avearage.

A:I don't agree at all. I think hes slightly above average.

B:I adamently disagree. Hes average!

Oski
07-30-2004, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of people, but I'd put:

- Gwynn
- Sosa
- Walker
- O'Neill
- Juan Gonzalez

ahead of him, with Manny Ramirez and Shawn Green having not played enough of the decade.

I didn't look at every year, but it seems like the majority of the teams platoon in RF. I was hard-pressed to find more than a handful of teams that even had a regular RF (> say, 120 games).

Seems like most of the studs were playing CF and LF. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put David Justice up there as well.

ThaSaltCracka
07-30-2004, 10:46 AM
haha, oh well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
07-30-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to get too far off topic, but how on earth does an argument like this start? I mean, top 10? Thats barely above average! Not like you're making some outrageouse claim.

[/ QUOTE ] I know I am not making an outrageous claim, which makes my friends stance even more ridiculous. They all hate Buhner, and they all think he was a wothless player. I asked them to name 10 RF's which were better than him in his era, but they could not.

Here are some that are better IMO:
Tony Gwynn
Juan Gonzalez
I know I am missing some, but oh well.