PDA

View Full Version : Weak fold on the flop?

Unarmed
07-30-2004, 12:15 AM
$1-$2 home game
Stack sizes are ~100 each
I am on the button with 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villian (tight-weak) limps in EP, 3 others including myself call.

($8) Flop 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Check, check, check, I figure I'm ahead now and don't want them to pair an overcard to my 6s so I pot it. Villian check raises to $30. I think for a bit and fold.

Weak?

He's limping in EP and given his tight hand selection PF I'd say he could be on A-8ish (he'd raise A-K) and up or a PP. I don't see him raising me on a PP lower than 4s given my bet so he has A9-AQ or 55 or any other PP that beats my sixes.

Anyway, he had AQo.
My bet could have easily looked like a bluff given it was checked to me and my table image is fairly aggressive. Anyone call this?
I figure I had to raise or fold and a pot sized raise bsically commits me...
Was I right to bet in the first place?

All comments appreciated.
Thanks.

umdpoker
07-30-2004, 02:27 AM
umm, if that is weak, then i am practically dead. there are way better hands than 66 that i would fold here to a re-raise like that. actually, i probably wouldn't even bet at the pot.

umdpoker
07-30-2004, 02:29 AM
oops, i just realized that it was checked around. i would probably bet it, but my table image is very tight. this of course assumes that anybody is paying attention to my play.

cornell2005
07-30-2004, 09:44 AM
theres really no point in calling at these stakes, since if you call here, the chances of him either 1. continuing his bluff and 2. picking up an overcard pair is too high. when you bet here you pretty much are deciding to fold to a raise. comes with the territory.

you can bet this flop, assuming the players arnt especially tricky or agg

Unarmed
07-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Well considering my hand wasn't going to get a whole lot better I figured I had to either fold or raise. If I raise it really doesn't matter what my 2 cards are as anything that calls/pushes back at me has me beat, and I'm probably not improving to win on the river or turn.

Basically I didn't think he was bluffing or would lay down a higher PP than mine so I folded. Although pushing might have gotten anything but a 9 to fold, and the only 9 hand he could have had was A-9. Am I overanalyzing this? If it was a good fold I'll drop it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cornell2005
07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
he could have also decided to limp a big pocket, have 44, or limped a 9 for whatever reason.

you mention that the only hand he "could" have is A9. however, he will use the same thought process for you: when you raise he will call with alot more hands than a 9, as he will have trouble putting you on a 9, despite the fact you are on a button.

i say good fold, its not particularly worth it, especially given that he may try to continue the bluff if you dont push.

Unarmed
07-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks BK