PDA

View Full Version : draw w/ AQs

Sweaburg
07-29-2004, 11:15 PM
I think my call on the flop was warranted but did I play the rest of the hand weakly? He played it worse than I did though.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (8 handed)

CO ($16.65)
Button ($42.05)
SB ($24.50)
BB ($141.15)
Hero ($50.10)
UTG+1 ($103.10)
MP1 ($49.50)
MP2 ($41)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1.75, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, SB folds, BB calls $4.50, Hero calls $3.25, MP2 calls $3.25.

Flop: ($20.25) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($40.25) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($40.25) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $40.25

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ac Kh (two pair, kings and threes).
Hero shows Qs As (one pair, threes).
Outcome: BB wins $40.25. </font>

donny5k
07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
The 9 is a scare card since you could have QJ, don't know if that's why he checked though, he's definitely scared but would call down any bluff attempts.

ML4L
07-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Hey Sweaburg,

Depending on your read of the button, you can consider folding preflop. Not saying "right" or "wrong," just something to think about.

On the flop, BB really screws you. This flop is great for when everyone checks to the button, he bets, and you check-raise all-in with your monster draw. But, after BB bets out, I think that a case can either be made for raising or calling. Getting all your money in on the flop here is good, but what you don't want is to put in the money, only to be called by button's AA/KK/AK. A raise also shuts out a smaller flush draw that might play. I think a call is fine, and if the action comes back around to you on the flop, push.

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking the turn and river here. I don't think there's anything wrong with betting either. Depends on whether or not you think that he would call an all-in. I don't like betting less if you choose to bet. His flop bet kinda looks like a "feeler" bet, so I'd generally be inclined to move all-in when he checks the turn. But, I think he would have called, given what he actually held. So, I think your checking worked out.

All in all, I think you played it fine. But, I think playing any of the streets differently would have been "fine" too. Depends on your read on the opponents, and I wasn't there. And, you're right. Your opponent played his hand poorly.

Better luck next time.

ML4L