PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry's speech

Nepa
07-29-2004, 10:35 PM
any thought's so far?

eLROY
07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, it sucks. It's like a dull meaningless riddle.

I didn't see Clinton on the first night, but I know he can say the right thing if he wants to. Of the speeches I heard, Dean was the best, followed by Sharpton, followed maybe by Edwards. The convention basically got duller every day, until it died tonight. It got worse than something Chevy Chase would lampoon in a Fletch movie. They even started saying "John Kerry" over and over like Bob Dole. Ordinary people would get the idea John Kerry was trying to say what he thought they wanted to hear, if only they could stay awake and understand what he was getting at. How cheezy was that first line?

[ QUOTE ]
John Kerry, reporting for duty!

[/ QUOTE ]
At one point he addressed the convention as "those people" when he should have said "you" (or "us").

[ QUOTE ]
for the brave men and women in uniform who risk their lives every day and the families who pray for their return - for all those who believe our best days are ahead of us

[/ QUOTE ]
Instead of connecting, he said weird permutations of sentences in sequences, so that you had to use the third sentence to figure out what the first sentence was all about.

[ QUOTE ]
For us, that flag is the most powerful symbol of who we are and what we believe in. Our strength. Our diversity. Our love of country. All that makes America both great and good. That flag doesn't belong to any president. It doesn't belong to any ideology and it doesn't belong to any political party. It belongs to all the American people. My fellow citizens, elections are about choices. And choices are about values. In the end, it's not just policies and programs that matter; the president who sits at that desk must be guided by principle. For four years, we've heard a lot of talk about values. But values spoken without actions taken are just slogans. Values are not just words. They're what we live by. They're about the causes we champion and the people we fight for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nepa
07-29-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't belong to any ideology

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!

Utah
07-29-2004, 11:15 PM
I cant stand Kerry and I think he is scum. However, I thought his speech was pretty good. Not as stiff as I expected. Maybe a little too much hate though.

andyfox
07-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Kerry's speech was quite good, quite smart. He isn't worried about losing any votes to the left; if he does, it'll be to Nader in states he's gonna win anyway. He's got to get those just to his right (and just to the left of Bush) to go for him, so emphasizing traditionally conservative values, like a strong defense, a strong leadership, and patriotism, it's a win-win for him.

He was too sweaty.

The tie he wore was hideous.

Except for possibly talking a bit too fast (which might have been because it was getting late on the east coast) his delivery was great. I think he'll see a pretty good spike in the polls.

Where did you hear hate in the speech? The only hate I heard was on the fair and balanced news channel when Michael Barone said, right after the speech, that the convention had been about hate.

Is it just me or does John Edwards look like Jimmy Swaggert?

Mano
07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
I thought Kerry's speech was very good - much better than I expected. As a whole, the convention was much more positive than usual, with out much personal bashing (with the possible exception of Sharpton). The Republican's will have to be carefull during their convention, as it seems the Democrats are trying to paint their party as that of unity and the Republicans that of division.

Utah
07-29-2004, 11:40 PM
I thought he went off too much on the Bush bashing and too much anti-war. It doesnt play well to the right but looks good for me putting $100 in my pocket.

What he said is completely unimportant. Some of it was pure gibberish (as it is for all politicians). The big issue was whether he looked human and normal and I think that came across. The sweat might have even helped in making that case.

I believe that the convention was about hate, but it was fairly well masked. I still havent heard a real vision for America from the democrats. I dont think they have one. Everything they say is always referencing Bush. e.g., we would engage our allies and not alienate them. Thats a plan? Seriously, can you tell me how the democrats would fight the "war of terror"?

I cant remember what Jimmy Swaggart looked liked. lol.

andyfox
07-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Note that Kerry said he's have Republicans in his administration.

I'm more convinced than ever that, if elected, he'll name John McCain Secretary of Defense.

andyfox
07-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Where was the Bush-bashing? [Other than the (rather childish) "reporting for duty" line]. I got the opposite impression from the speech, that he was appealing to those to the right of him, which, of course, he needs to do to win.

Nobody (except you) cares about vision. They care about events and money and the war. I thought when Kerry finished off with his vision thing it was the weakest part of his speech.

Of course they reference Bush. To beat an incumbent you attack the incumbent. And certainly this incumbent has given them plenty of ammunition. Even a relatively weak candidate like Kerry has plenty to choose from.

Kerry mentioned some specifics he would do in fighting terrorism, especially in the "homeland" (man, I hate that word).

In further reference to Dynasty's post about elections being somewhat unpredictable, John Kerry was all but dead just a few weeks before the the Iowaq caucus. He had to fire his campaign manager. And then presto! It's all over and he's on top. So I wouldn't be spending my $100 quite yet. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not sure if Jimmy Swaggert is the right guy. I think it's Jim Baker (?): the guy who was married to the woman who wore all that heavy make-up (Tammy Fay Baker?)

Oerall, I think my odds of having an extra $100 in my pocket went up tonight, by much more than I thought they would have (although, as I said, I haven't quite spent it yet). Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see what the numbers look like in a few days. I don't like the guy much, but I thought the middle part of his speech was electrifying (I thought he was sub-par at the beginning and a bit at the end). (Incidentally, though I like the guy even less, I thought Dubya's first speech post 9/11 was the best I've ever heard from any president in my lifetime.)

Utah
07-30-2004, 12:11 AM
"Nobody (except you) cares about vision"

LOL. I liked that line. I have always been a vision guy and I have spent much of my career in that realm (strategic planning). I am not talking about fluffy feel good bullcrap vision stuff (like most companies worthless vision statements). I mean true vision. I believe everything flows from vision and you cant effectively manage anything of a spot basis - whether its a company, country, career or marriage.

Say what you will about the Bush team - they are clearly executing a vision. Maybe that is why I have somewhat of an affinity to their approach.

andyfox
07-30-2004, 12:15 AM
No doubt you're right--the Bush team has a vision. But so did Mao. Often vision turns into blindness (see Vietnam). I'd rather have somebody who tries this and that than someone with bad vision.

Regards,
Andy

SinCityGuy
07-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Great speech.

Hope is on the way.

natedogg
07-30-2004, 12:37 AM
I just reread the whole thing.

It makes me sad that this kind of shallow pandering treacle is greeted by the sheeple as some kind of wonderful, meaningful speech.

It's full of self-contradictions, cheap shots worthy of the Daily Show but not the convention, high-minded empty rhetoric about "hope" and "children" that can only possibly please the simpering vacant, and worst of all, one of the few specific promises from him was that he was adamantly opposed to any change to Social Security.

I get so depressed during election years. Unfortunately, this awful speech will only be rivaled by the one to come from Bush in a few weeks.

natedogg

andyfox
07-30-2004, 12:42 AM
You're missing the point. The content of the speech was irrelevant. It was about selling John Kerry as being presidential. And about George Bush as being unpresidential.

Older people tend to be more conservative. Hence the Social Security promise.

Politics is pandering.

jokerswild
07-30-2004, 04:18 AM
I'm starting to believe that he will win.

adios
07-30-2004, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're missing the point. The content of the speech was irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is the party platform irrelevant as well? So my assumption that the speech was a waste of my time was probably correct.

[ QUOTE ]
It was about selling John Kerry as being presidential. And about George Bush as being unpresidential.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is vague. So the uncommitted voters are listening to Kerry's speech with a critical eye as to which candidate is the most "presidential" whatever that word means ?

[ QUOTE ]
Older people tend to be more conservative. Hence the Social Security promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Kerry has learned something from his time being a Senator. Social Security is the ultimate sacred cow in Congress, no congressman will sign up for any substantial change in the system at this time IMO. Natedogg in another thread more or less showed the vacuousness of the quoted statement by Kerry.

[ QUOTE ]
Politics is pandering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so the Democratic party platform is irrelevant and amounts to pandering I suppose. Doesn't the electorate deserve more than pandering? Methinks they do and I know you do as well. How do you feel about Bush pandering to the religious right?

GWB
07-30-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm GWB and I'm reporting for duty.

Hampster Rescue Man did a mediocre job, which is good for him given his past performance.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040730/capt.dnc23807300229.cvn_kerry_dnc238.jpg

MMMMMM
07-30-2004, 09:10 AM
If he can siphon off enough votes from the slightly right and lock in more from center, he will win.

Very smart to play up the "reporting for duty" and strong America theme. IMO his best strategy would be to concentrate on this sort of stuff more, and focus much less on typical Democrat positions because he's already got the left-of-center crowd in his camp.

El Barto
07-30-2004, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm GWB and I'm reporting for duty.

Hampster Rescue Man did a mediocre job, which is good for him given his past performance.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040730/capt.dnc23807300229.cvn_kerry_dnc238.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice there is no reference to the Democratic Party on the podium? Are they embarassed to say they are Democrats?

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I was disappoinetd that he felt it necessary to pander to the bible-thumpers.

astroglide
07-30-2004, 12:59 PM
didn't listen to it, didn't read any posts in this thread, voting for him regardless

Toro
07-30-2004, 02:59 PM
This seems pretty basic to me. What the hell would have been wrong with having a small glass of water nearby and a clean white handkerchief in his pocket so that when he started sweating like a pig he could have very casually taken a short 5 second break to take a little sip of water and mop all that sweat off his face.

Could have been done during one of the many times his speech was interupted anyway by the partisans giving him an ovation. Instead, he stood there pretending he wasn't sweating and trying to do the discreet flick now and then which really looked stupid.

Hey it was hot in there. Is it so bad to admit that you might be sweating? Wipe it off with a hankie for crist sakes.

andyfox
07-30-2004, 03:45 PM
I heard you say today we're going to have "better prosperity" in the future. Nice going.

andyfox
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
The word "Democrat" was the most used word by the speakers at the convention. There probably embarrassed to say they're liberals.

andyfox
07-30-2004, 03:54 PM
"Really? Is the party platform irrelevant as well?"

Pretty much, yes. You know where Kerry standes on the issues: he's been a senator for nineteen years. And you know where Bush stands: he's been telling us for four years.

"So the uncommitted voters are listening to Kerry's speech with a critical eye as to which candidate is the most 'presidential' whatever that word means ?"

Yes, pretty much.

"Doesn't the electorate deserve more than pandering? Methinks they do and I know you do as well. How do you feel about Bush pandering to the religious right?"

It's an election. They're going to do what they think they need to in order to get elected. I don't know if we deserve better. We elected Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. Twice each. My state's most prominent politicians are Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein and Arnold. And we elected Gary Davis. Twice.

andyfox
07-30-2004, 04:08 PM
If he would have wiped it off with his tie, he would no doubt have improved the tie's appearance.

eLROY
08-01-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kerry's speech was quite good, quite smart.

I think he'll see a pretty good spike in the polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
So are you going to start second-guessing yourself? Or just keep blundering ahead with your silly opinions?

Nepa
08-01-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he'll see a pretty good spike in the polls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know polls don't mean much yet but he is getting a bounce.

Kerry up 7 pts. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5568072/site/newsweek/)

andyfox
08-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Coming out of the Democratic National Convention in Boston, Sen. John Kerry now holds a seven-point lead over President George W. Bush (49 percent to 42 percent) in a three-way race with independent Ralph Nader (3 percent), according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll The poll was taken over two nights, both before and after Kerry's acceptance speech. Respondents who were queried after Kerry's Thursday night speech gave the Democrat a ten-point lead over Bush. Three weeks ago, Kerry’s lead was three points.

Kerry’s four-point “bounce” is the smallest in the history of the NEWSWEEK poll. There are several factors that may have contributed to the limited surge, including the timing of the poll. On Thursday, Kerry had just a two-point lead over Bush (47 percent to 45 percent), suggesting that his Friday night speech had a significant impact. Additionally, Kerry’s decision to announce his vice-presidential choice of John Edwards three weeks before the convention may have blunted the gathering’s impact. And limited coverage by the three major networks also may have hurt Kerry.

Still, Kerry and Edwards have gained ground on several key election issues. For the first time in the NEWSWEEK poll, as many voters strongly back Kerry as strongly back Bush (31 percent to 30 percent). In an election expected to be decided by a small number of unaffiliated voters, independents now lean toward Kerry by a margin of 45 percent to 39 percent, with Nader pulling 7 percent. And voters are becoming more likely to predict a Kerry victory in November: Forty-four percent say Kerry will win vs. 43 percent who predict Bush.

What did you find silly? That I thought the speech was good, that is was smart, or that I thought he'd see a pretty good spoke in the polls? And where did I second-guess myself?

In the interest of clarity, may I respectfully suggest that you copy the following and fill in the blanks:

You second guessed yourself where first you said ________________ and then later you said __________________.

What I found silly was your opinion where you said _____________ and I found this silly because _________________.

Thank you.