PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury Trip Report (long)

06-20-2002, 02:36 PM
I visited Minneapolis earlier this week and was able to get to the Canterbury Card Club for a few quick sessions. I was there a few years ago and had an ugly night where I lost with all my big hands so I was hoping to retrieve my money that I had loaned them.

On Monday I get on my flight at 6 a.m. from Seattle to Denver to Minneapolis. I meet some co-workers and we have meetings for several hours. I decide to pass on a group dinner and find my way to the card club.

There are many tables ( anywhere from 2-4 through 15-30 HE, plus stud and omaha) and there is an opening at 4-8 HE. I sit down and after an hour or so I realize I am too tired to concentrate for long and quit up 50 or so.

The tables are 9 handed. There may be 2 or 3 players at my table who seem reasonable. Most are typical low limit hacks who play too many hands, cold call raises with bad cards and stay in to the river hoping for the miracle card.

Tuesday I again have meetings throughout the day. I have dinner at the Outback and after a good Victorias Filet decide it is time for the card room. This time I put my name up on the list. I get called for 2-4 and I post $2 and then get called for the 4-8 game.

Early on I make a few mistakes. One involved cold calling a raise with 88 (after a few other cold calls) and spending a few post flop bets on a ace high board and needing to release it after the original raiser check-raises me on the turn. Of course he flopped a boat with AA.

A little while later I win a nice hand but I check the river when I should have bet. The opponent was nice enough to let me hear him gloat how I missed a bet. That little gloating was able to get me more focused and a little more aggressive.

As the night moved on some of the decent players were replaced with bad players. One was on my direct right. He must have lost 400 in a few hours. One of my favorite hands that he played was a hand several players limped. Flop had 2 spades and 3 cards above a 6. SB bet and the BB raised. He cold called. Turn was a 5 and the BB bet again and again he called. River was another high card but no spade. BB bets again and the bad player calls. BB says I missed and shows 5s3s for a missed flush but low pair on the board. Bad player mucks saying I knew you had nothing /images/smile.gif

I sucked out on passive guy when with AK, I bet a QJx flop after raising preflop. The turn was checked and the beautiful T rivered. The passive guy shows 2 pair. If he check-raises the flop and/or bets the turn I am not sure if I call that turn bet.

I flopped a few sets. The 1st one was with 44 and several players but all folded when I bet a Q42 rainbow board. A bit later after raising with QQ in the BB, I flopped a boat on KKQ board. The final hand of the night I had 55 and flopped a set on T65 board. Several players in the hand. I bet and 3 call. Turn is a 9. I bet and 2 loosies call. River is the ugly 8. Marvelous a 1 card straight. The bad player from before bets into me. I call and sure enough he had crap ( a pair of 8's) and I win a decent pot.

I end the night up 160 or so. So I had a fun and profitable time at the Canterbury Card Club.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

06-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Ken,

Nice job and report.

We should try to meet in person before you relocate. Maybe you, ripdog, bernie and I could all meet for dinner and cards at Muckleshoot some night. Send me an email.

KJS

kscullin@hotmail.com

06-20-2002, 05:30 PM
that sounds like fun...

let me know

b

06-20-2002, 07:19 PM
That sounds like a tough table. Maybe I could learn a few things. I can't make any promises, but I'll try like hell to make it. 17 credits and a condensed Summer quarter spells trouble for me, though.

06-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Ken,

Sounds like you had a decent trip.

Good Luck

Mark

06-21-2002, 08:35 AM
where ya moving to??gr8 report...gl

06-21-2002, 04:15 PM
You say that yet I see hand postings. Hmmmm. /images/wink.gif

KJS