PDA

View Full Version : decisions with KK - bad push or bad beat?

Smoove
07-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't consider myself a good player but I do think I'm certainly better than a good number of the players on Party. Looking for advice on this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

MP1 ($17)
MP2 ($14.45)
CO ($69.45)
Button ($43.83)
SB ($54.48)
BB ($18.90)
Hero ($18.75)
UTG+1 ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $3</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $3, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($9.75) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $3</font>, CO calls $3, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($18.75) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $5</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12.75 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls $7.75.

River: ($44.25) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $44.25

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kh Kc (two pair, kings and queens).
UTG+1 shows Jh Kd (full house, jacks full of queens).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $44.25. </font>

I figured he would play any queen, AA, or JJ softer than he did. So he was either bluffing or he had a single jack. As it turns out CO was holding AJ meaning this was a 1-out beauty...but should I have been out of the pot?

Richie Rich
07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Since you didn't re-raise him before the flop, why didn't you c/r him on the flop when two face cards and a diamond draw were apparent? Even better, you went all-in after the second queen fell?!? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Even though he was lucky to catch one of his two outs on the river (not 1 out), I think you "slowplayed" this one pretty poorly at a Party Poker table.

bunky9590
07-29-2004, 10:05 PM
reraise him all in PF that will solve the problem. Just calling there with another player in the hand is just awful

Smoove
07-29-2004, 10:06 PM
I agree I should have played more aggressively preflop. JJ and QQ were possibilities on the flop but after the turn and the aggressive bet I figured he didn't have either of them.

Also...1 jack on the table, 1 in his hand, CO has one. The only out is the one that came on the river right? Obviously there was no way for me to tell that CO had one but in retrospect he got the only card that could have saved him unless I'm missing something.

Richie Rich
07-29-2004, 10:12 PM
FYI- Party Poker plays with 5-Jack decks...ask anyone /images/graemlins/wink.gif
(I skimmed through your original post pretty quick...guess I missed a semi-important detail)

umdpoker
07-29-2004, 10:22 PM
preflop: if the table is aggressive, then limp reraise them bad boys. if it isn't, then at least raise like a man. raise to $2-3. given the re-raise by opponent, i would re-raise him to about $7-8. smoothcalling his re-raise isn't too bad either though.

flop: what the hell? you don't call on a jq board with kk, especially a weak-ass bet like that. raise it. since you don't have much left, push it all-in. if you lose, you lose.

the key to playing aa/kk is raising preflop to kill your opponent's odds of drawing. this moron re-raised you preflop
with kjo! i guarantee that if you would have 3-bet preflop, he would have called. also, make sure that you are the one forcing the action. if you push on flop and he calls, then he would be making a horrible mistake. he still would have won, but at least you know the money went in when you were winning.

Smoove
07-29-2004, 10:27 PM
I see I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the tips guys...think I see how badly I played this hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

umdpoker
07-29-2004, 10:33 PM
don't worry about it. just 2 months ago, i was playing pretty damn bad myself. you can't learn without making mistakes.