PDA

View Full Version : Raising on flop with unpaired AK???

Lmn55d
07-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey, I had odds to call this on flop with gutshot outs and unclean overcard outs, so i riased for free card. Is this sa bad play on a board like this???

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero folds.

River: (10.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.25 BB, won by UTG+1.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to UTG+1.</font>

zuluking
07-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Good fold.

Lmn55d
07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
thanks, but my real question is about the flop raise.

TripleH68
07-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Raising here seems pretty read dependent. And it seems UTG+1 was either in the lead...or made a good read by not letting you take control of the hand.

What was your read on UTG+1?

Lmn55d
07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
i had no specific read on him, i figured there was a very good chance he had a pair, but didn't expect him to 3bet me obviously.

GuidoSarducci
07-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Without any prior information on him, you have to make the assumption that he has something with the flop re-raise. Good fold.

I like the raise on the flop. It let you know where you were in the hand. Of course, without any knowlege of the other guy at all, your information is diminished some, but I still think it's a decent raise.

Lmn55d
07-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Can I get a few more opinions on this??

pokerkai
07-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I like the raise, assuming you feel that there is a good chance UTG+1 is betting a draw or you feel you can push him off his pair. That 3 bet is a nightmare....good fold on turn.

Generally, I would be more inclined to raise if i felt I could isolate on the bettor. With that MP call in between it makes your play quite a bit dicier but still probably worthwhile.......with the correct read of course.

Jstyal
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I like the pre-flop raise with AKs and the pot cap on the flop, but I'm don't agree with folding on the turn. UTG+1's betting could have been the result of heart flush draw or having made a pair of sevens or jacks--that's if he wasn't bluffing. With no prior read on this player, then, yes, I can somewhat understand the fold--but AKs up against only 2 players is not to be discarded so easily.

StellarWind
07-30-2004, 02:07 PM
The flop decision is not clearcut but I would call without a read. This board is very dangerous and there are many common hands that make two pair, a set, or a straight. Add in the many players that will 3-bet an OESD or flush draw and I don't like my odds of getting a free card.

I challenge those who say the raise allows you to find out where you stand. The deal is over and we still don't even know whether we folded the best hand.

The turn fold is absolutely incorrect. You are getting 10.25-1 to close the betting. The three nonheart queens will almost always win. The Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif will often win. An ace or a king will win sometimes because he could have one pair and/or a flush or straight draw. Surely this is more than the four effective outs you need to call.

Besides, the river could go check-check-check YHIG. This happens once in a while when everyone is drawing.

Pythagorean
07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
With no read, raising the flop is a good play. Not only will it give you shot at a free card on the turn, but possibly (against weak players) it might induce a free showdown if both other players were on draws. Also if your flop reraise is three bet (probably two pair or trips reducing your outs to four) it gives you cheap info as to your opponents hand letting you know to get out rather than call to the river.

Kaz The Original
07-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Cap the flop for the free turn card. I think you're outs should be good at 3 aces, 3 kings, and 4 queens. If he's fairly passive fold to the raise, because you have no fewer than 4 outs.

colgin
07-30-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop for the free turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "free" card is starting to get pretty expensive.

colgin
07-30-2004, 03:23 PM
StellarWind,

As usual you have given a pretty good analysis here. Also, when someone consciously bets into a pre-flop raiser they may be hoping to get raised so that they can three-bet. I think the odds here of getting a free card are not that good. Calling seems OK though.

Colgin