PDA

View Full Version : DNA and Death

Zeno
07-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Francis Crick died DNA Man (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/headlines/D844MLKO0.html)

What is an important sidebar is the inspiration and influence that was instilled into Francis Crick and James Watson by Erwin Schrödinger. Erwin gave a series of lectures at Trinity College in 1943 that were later incorporated into a small but very important book called 'What is Life'. In that book he purposed an 'aperiodic crystal' as a sort of discrete block or code of life (he used the word ‘chromosome fiber’) that is repeated but not duplicated exactly.

The thread of inspiration and thought that leads to discovery in science is often very interesting and not at all a trivial matter.

There are, possibly, some back wood ramblers and other nonentities that would disagree with the above statement.

But no one with that kind of trivial character posts on this forum. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

M2d
07-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I saw Crick speak when I was a junior in college. it was the first time I realized that it was really different than high school-that I was in the real world, watching and dealing with real people who made a real difference.

btw, how'd you get an umlaut in your text? just wondering.

Zeno
07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
That would have been a wonderful thing to hear Crick speak.

[ QUOTE ]
how'd you get an umlaut in your text?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually do my posts in word and then copy and paste the post. So I can use the insert - symbol in word to create, For example:

Ω Ü and other useful stuff. Some of the more elaborate characters will not transpose into the post and come out as a series of rambling numbers and text (the first character is an example of this), but most of the useful word characters transpose fine.

-Zeno