PDA

View Full Version : J9d - 9 way action on the button with a QTd 3c flop

Gordon Scott
07-29-2004, 05:42 PM
3-6 live game 7 callers to me on the button with J9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I call.

The SB raises and only the BB drops. In the 3 years I’ve played with the SB he has never raised a multi-way pot from early position with less than KK and I've rarely seen him raise AKs or o from early position. I call 75% sure he has AA and will lead the flop regardless. It's a pretty easy fit or fold post folp.

Should I have raised? If I reraise he will only cap with AA. If he slows down he has KK maybe 10% chance he has QQ. Is that play worth the information if you have that good of a read on a player?

Flop Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif nice nice nice now what?

As predicted the SB leads and 6 call. I raise, SB stalls, calls, and 6 limp along.

Should I have waited for the turn to raise?

Turn is a rag (2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif I think)and all check to me. I bet and it's 6 to the river. At this point I figure the only one at the table without a draw is the SB with pocket aces

Should have checked? With the outs I thinks it’s a pretty easy bet. Only a or AJ KJ make a bigger straight and I figure the AJ is pretty unlikely with the SB having 2.

River is a black ace; the SB bets out, gets two callers and takes down 26 big bets with a set of aces.

I was heavily chastised for building him a pot but since I never showed my hand I just smiled and told them I mucked a set of Queens on the river. No reason to explain my play but it sounded good and it made me smile after missing my draw.

Other than the straight flush I know I wasn't drawing at the nuts but this seemed solid to me. I would probably play it same way without redirection.

Well my copy of Ed Miller's SSH just showed up. I'll probably want to delete this in the morning.

Thanks

Lost Wages
07-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Should I have raised? If I reraise he will only cap with AA. If he slows down he has KK maybe 10% chance he has QQ. Is that play worth the information if you have that good of a read on a player?

No, you still have seven other players to worry about so narrowing down 1 player doesn't do you much good.

Should I have waited for the turn to raise?

No, you have everyone trapped with your monster draw. Get as much money in as you can with 2 cards to come.

Should have checked? (the turn)

If you expect at least 3 callers (which certainly seems reasonable), then you can bet for value.

I was heavily chastised for building him a pot

Screw 'em. You played it perfectly and handled it well with you crack about the set of queens.

Lost Wages

hutz
07-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Q1: "Should I have raised?" I'm at work and have to crank out a really quick answer, so I'm answering off-the-cuff. My gut reaction is that you should. You're either going to get a slight overlay if everyone calls or you're going to get isolated or semi-isolated in an already large pot against someone whose hand you nearly have pegged (AA, KK, or AK, with AA being exceedingly likely). I did a quick twodimes.net simulation and the results show you with a better than 8:1 chance of taking the pot down by the river. the sim (http://twodimes.net/h/?z=423582)

Q2: "Should I have waited for the turn to raise?" No. Jam the hell out of it. You are making money on every chip that hits the pot.

Q3: "Should I have checked [the turn blank]?" No, you are likely still getting an overlay if everyone sticks around in this monster pot.

Unasked Q4: "How should I have reacted to the field's bitching about jamming the pot?" By saying "I just came here to gamboooooool!"

MoreWineII
07-29-2004, 06:13 PM
"I mucked 72 diamonds. Bummer too, I almost got there."

gamblore99
07-29-2004, 07:18 PM
IMHO you played this hand great. there is no other way you could have played it.

Trix
07-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I would have raised preflop for value, especially if blinds are loose. J9s will win it´s share of multiway pots.

I like rest of the hand.

Gordon Scott
07-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Next time (given this same line up) I raise on the button without hesitation.

Looks like a no-brainer having read SSH preflop section. When I raise and the Rock of Gibraltar reraises in the SB we probably thin the field by one or two of the tighter players that could be holding hands that beat us and aren’t strong enough to call 2 more bets. To let a tight player with K8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or something that like J9 limp in here would be a crime.

The rest of the limpers are seeing the flop if it’s a six raise max with a double bet on the end before the flop.

Thanks