PDA

View Full Version : important poker game coming up

smartalecc5
07-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Tomorrow there is a 14 person gathering (very big compared to just my usual 4-5 person home game). The people coming are very skilled and I would say about 3-6 kids will be better than me. Personally, I think I have a shot at winning it if things fall my way - but I also think I can get more chips by acting like a fish. How do you act like a noob and pretend to be bad at poker? I gotta do something to put me over the top and if acting is it- then I will do it. Or is there something that always pisses you off when someone does it to you and makes you go on tilt? If so, I would like to do that.

So basically, how can I improve my game by distracting or misleading my opponents without really improving my strategy or luck of cards.

THANKS in advance /images/graemlins/grin.gif

balkii
07-29-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how can I improve my game by distracting or misleading my opponents without really improving my strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not gonna win much with this approach. Accept that you will probably lose, and learn to enjoy it.

MrBlini
07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically, how can I improve my game by distracting or misleading my opponents without really improving my strategy or luck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]Beer in large quantities for your opponents. Party ball.

smartalecc5
07-29-2004, 08:15 PM
HAha, that would work well but we are illegaly gambling becasue we are under 18. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TripleH68
07-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Maintain a pleasant attitude and show your opponents you are there for "fun."

And don't overestimate your abilities. Every time you play is a chance to learn something.

gamblore99
07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
hit some, and yell racial slurs. that should get them on tilt.

playerfl
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
"How do you act like a noob and pretend to be bad at poker?"

I do this all the time, sometimes not on purpose /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think that is ALWAYS the way to be in live play, because the worst thing is for everybody to tighten up as soon as you sit down at the table because they think you are good.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-30-2004, 12:36 PM
If your opponents are that much better than you than presumably they are also observant enough to see your play for what it is, rather than some false impression you attempt to make it. Although first impressions have value, any observant player will reassess with more complete information. If they re-assess quickly, you might just be better off sticking with a tight aggressive image, particularly for a tournament.

al

smartalecc5
07-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Well its in 1 hour and I have decided to say my mistakes out loudly and bash myself verbally after each one. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wattsman
07-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Don't forget that making mistakes can help that noob image as well as throw off your tells. BUT DON'T OVER-ACT.It just needs to be subtle stuff. Don't ALWAYS forget to put out your blinds. Fold out of turn. Fold in a check situation. This serves to look noob and irritate the experienced players. Theplayers that are urging your bet are anxious to bet. Keep that in mind too.
I have natural propensity to goof up a little. I never want them to think I am 100% in the game.
Talk about other stuff like you're distracted, but don't actuall ybe distracted from watching other players.. But you can tighten up in the later game and throw them off again.

smartalecc5
07-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Incase anyone was wondering I lost the tourney. There was 9 guys and we decided to split it up and do 3 three-person tables. We planned on winner from each table to go to final table but ran out of time so winner of each table won $15 (5 buyin). I knocked one guy out and i had a little more than the other guy and went all in with Pocket jacks b4 flop. HE called and turned over pocket Kings. I was done form there on out. He had about 910 and I had about 90. argh /images/graemlins/mad.gif

obi---one
07-31-2004, 04:00 PM
If i know the players are better than me, I like to suck out on the river on five consecutive hands. then I talk the smack.

MicroBob
07-31-2004, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knocked one guy out and i had a little more than the other guy and went all in with Pocket jacks b4 flop. HE called and turned over pocket Kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously your act didn't work very well since you lost with your JJ to KK!!
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ummmm...has anyone else wondered how good these players can really be if they are all under the age of 18??

don't be intimidated (for future get-togethers) and just play your game as best you can.
some people try to 'act like a fish' so much that they start to become one.
silly...but true.

i agree that if they really are such strong players they will quickly see you for the cards that you are playing and not by your act.
if they were to get so easily fooled by your act and not realize that you are playing your cards decently then they weren't that good to begin with.

your time is better served studying SNG strategy (aleomangus' stuff....or other posts in the SNG forum). the advantages you can get from doing that even for a few minutes far outweigh the advantage you might get from acting like a total goof-ball.

you want to portray an image of being loose and having a fun time....but only if you don't take it too far and only if it doesn't distract you from playing your best game.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Next time, play one table of nine. Talk the guys into a slow blind escalation, then play very tight and let the natural impatience of your testosterone-addled adolescent friends work its magic. I suspect you could fold your way into third, so just wait until you hit a very strong hand and play it aggressively. They'll call.