PDA

View Full Version : Party SNG players

arkady
07-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Maybe Frogger can field this one too, what is the difference in difficulty between the 30 and 50? I ask because the two have different chip starting amounts and if the blinds are the same and the opponents are equally bad, seems like a better player is better off going with the deeper money situation. just a guess.

Frogger
07-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Well,

The quality of the players is very similar. A lot more fishy plays go on at the 30+3 level. It's not uncommon to see people calling all ins with QJs and other marginal group 2 and 3 hands just for a chance to GAMMMBBOOOOLL.

I prefer the 50+5 due to the fact that you get 200 additional starting chips. This allows for the better players (like us), to use our skills instead of simply gambling. It also gives you more ammunition to call draws. With 800 chips, you don't have too much leeway to try and chase down a flush or a straight if someone is gunning at you with TPTK.

I've actually been having a harder time adjusting down to the 30+3 level due to the lower chip count. I'm taking a few days to cool off from playing and finishing some work stuff before I fully undergo the quest. Right now after 5 SNGs at the 30+3 level, i'm 60% ITM (2 2nds 1 3rd) but no wins.

The 50+5 level is much tougher near the bubble play as are all of the higher level SnGs. Just because you double up early, doesn't mean your guaranteed to finish even close to the money.

Like in all SnGs, patience pays off in the end. However, there still are a lot of total n00bs in the 30+3 who will force you to gamble. Just remember to get your chips in with the best of it - that's all you can ask for. If your AA gets busted by a JT, no sweat. Definitely take breaks after you lose on the bubble though and don't try to chase loses. Nothing is more devestating than that.

That's the best poker advice I have ever heard and it came from my father. If you ever take a really bad beat or win a huge pot, get up from the computer (or table) and have time to cool off. Both losing big (on the bubble) or winning a huge pot will severely skew your rational thinking and lead to poor decision making.