PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player question

gonores
07-29-2004, 03:22 PM
I recently bought my first memory card (512MB) for my MP3 player. It allowed me to xfer ~160MB of music on to it, and then it started sending me error messages and wouldnt let me download any more music onto it. I deduced that the error was due to some corrupt space on the memory card, so I exchanged the memory card, got a new one (same type of card), and the same thing (160MB xferred, then error messages) happened.

Any ideas?

ArchAngel71857
07-29-2004, 03:36 PM
buy an IPOD

ThePopinjay
07-29-2004, 03:52 PM
what kind of player is it?

i'd try updating the firmware first

jwvdcw
07-29-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
buy an IPOD

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't disagree more. Apple is surely the most well known name, but doesn't turn out the best products at all imo.

The battery life is shorter than average, the price is incredibly high compared to others, and the sound quality is very average(some better, some not).

I'd suggest a Rio or the Zen Xtra Nomah. I have the latter and have been very happy with it(got a 40GB one for $240)

gonores
07-29-2004, 05:06 PM
It is an MPIO FL100, and as far as I can tell, the firmware is up to date.

Doug

TobDog
07-29-2004, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
buy an IPOD

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that one, I have one and aside of teh replacing the battery at about 2 years thing(I have only had mine for 6 months so I havent had to do that yet) they are awesome. My wife paid like $300 for the 10gig one at Xmas and I saw on amazon the other day the 15 gig is being closed out for $149, I was tempted to buy a second one and sell my original one. FYI, oh and I dont work for or represent any of those companies either.

jwvdcw
07-29-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy an IPOD

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that one, I have one and aside of teh replacing the battery at about 2 years thing(I have only had mine for 6 months so I havent had to do that yet) they are awesome. My wife paid like $300 for the 10gig one at Xmas and I saw on amazon the other day the 15 gig is being closed out for $149, I was tempted to buy a second one and sell my original one. FYI, oh and I dont work for or represent any of those companies either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a question: I got a Noman Zen Xtra 40 GB for less than you paid for your 10 GB. I also get more battery life and better sound quality(most sources rank it second only to the Rio). Why buy an ipod?

TobDog
07-30-2004, 01:54 AM
I guess for the fact everyone has them, you have some idea that they work, I dont have any experience with the model you use. I also heard the other day on the radio there was a debate as to which MP3 player is best, the findinggs were that where you are going to buy your music from (i tunes, dell's musicmatch, etc) the formats will not support eachother currently because most if not all purchased music on the internet has its own copyright that is coded in the file to be used only for ipod with itunes, etc, so this may make a decision sway one way or the other if you are buying online. Of course if you copy from like kazaa or you transfer from your CD's it won't really matter.

scotnt73
07-30-2004, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
buy an IPOD

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. every electronic buyers guide i ever looked at gave the ipod the highest ratings. tech tv also did a review where they test 5 of the top models and ipod won hands down.

cthomer5000
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy an IPOD

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't disagree more. Apple is surely the most well known name, but doesn't turn out the best products at all imo.

The battery life is shorter than average, the price is incredibly high compared to others, and the sound quality is very average(some better, some not).

I'd suggest a Rio or the Zen Xtra Nomah. I have the latter and have been very happy with it(got a 40GB one for $240)

[/ QUOTE ]

I heartily second the recommendation for the Creative Labs Zan Xtra Nomad. I got a 60gig Nomad for $360. That's just about the same price as a 20gig iPod for 3 times the storage space.

The iPod is a great product, but right now it is SO much more expensive than it's competitors. Unless you need the ultra-sleek design, I think it's best to get a much better value with another brand.

Also, the battery is removable/replaceable on the Nomad, whereas getting that replaced (if it fails) can be a serious problem with the iPod.

The only downside of the Nomad was the headphones it came with, they are uncomforable. However I hate the "bud" style headphones and knew about the problem in advance, so I just stuck with my nice Sony wrap-arounds.

The Nomad software is also much easier than other brands. It's truly drag and drop, so it's just as easy to copy something off it as it is to put it on.

Here's a link to the specs of the Zen Xtra Nomad:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=3&subcategory=21&product=9288

Regardless of whether you get this one or not, I suggest you shop around before making the purchase.

cthomer