PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Flush Draws

SirFWALGMan
07-29-2004, 02:57 PM
I play mostly 1/2 small stakes poker 6 handed. I find myself in the situation often where I put one bet on a low set of flush cards, I.E. 9-2h. I do this when there are many limpers into the pot, like 3-5. I usually like to do it in late position, but would consider it earlier.

Now if I do not make something nice with the flop, I.E. 4 hearts, or a boat or trips with my bad cards, I will either check or fold. If I do make 4 to the flush, and the 3-4 people who are in with me are betting, I am in it until I cannot make my flush, or it looks like something better is on the table.

Now, I have made HUGE pots doing this. Even when I get the flush, I still have had situations where 2 pair is raising me all the action I could possibly want.

Every single time I do this however, some pissed off player says "That was a stupid move". It does not matter if I am getting 3-5 to 1 on my bet, still "That was a stupid move, you are a dumb player, go home and stop ruining my Poker experience".

So, my question is, how bad is it to play alot of Flush draws until the flop, and then beyond if you make your 4 flush cards? Am I really playing these wrong? Are all the winnings at this just a fluke? Can anyone tell me what the proper thing to do with 92h is?

pudley4
07-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Don't play cards preflop if your only realistic chance of winning is a flush (e.g. T5s, 92s, etc). The times you win the hand do not offset the money you put in chasing. You need an additional way to win the hand. This could be:

1 - a straight (something like 87s is fine in late position with multiple players)
2 - a high pair/2 pair (Axs, or any two big suited cards like KTs)

PokerNoob
07-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Turbomuck. I'll play 92s in the SB for half a bet in a full ring with a bunch of limpers if BB hasn't raised in my lifetime.