PDA

View Full Version : A Goldilocks hand... not enough, too much, or just right?

jacki
07-29-2004, 02:27 PM
<font color="blue"> Not enough? ... </font>Should I have smooth-called the flop to set up more bets on the turn?

<font color="blue"> Too much? ... </font> Should I have slowed down somewhere along the way?

or <font color="blue"> Just right?</font>

What say you?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

TheHip41
07-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Looks good to me. It seems that since he didn't 3-bet the turn, or bet the river, you are ahead. Looks like a flush draw with a pair of Q. Maybe even QJs. But you probably won this one. Nice hand.

PokerNoob
07-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I think you're alright, but I start worrying about JT about the time I hit the raise button on the turn. Since you weren't 3-bet, I'd say you are good, unless flopped two pair got scared of a set.

MoreWineII
07-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Personally, I probably would have just called the turn. When someone comes firing out at me after I've raised PF and capped the flop, I've got to give them credit for a hand that beats mine unless he's total LAG.

Like everyone else said though, you didn't get three-bet or raised on the river, so you might be good.

After re-reading the action, the hand I'd most likely put him on is Q-Js, maybe Q-10s. I think you won this hand.

StellarWind
07-29-2004, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have smooth-called the flop to set up more bets on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Punish SB as much as you can on the flop. It would be great to knock out a gutshot or lower pair. At least you want to charge him the maximum. Once he sees the turn he may not feel like paying you anymore.

I think you pushed a typical UTG+1 too far. Once he bets the turn I consider him the favorite to win the hand. He is likely to have a straight or two pair with this board. Even when he is just drawing he probably has a zillion outs, e.g. Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif. You are taking extra risk because your hand is pretty well defined for him. He will probably 3-bet when he's winning and call when he's drawing.

sfer
07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
If you know UTG+1 to be overaggro it's fine. If you know them not to be overaggro call the flop 3-bet intending to raise the turn. Either way, once I see the SB behind me calling along I want to get in a turn raise. How I induce that turn bet depends on my read of UTG+1.

jacki
07-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to say i missed the JT straight possibility...

I also agree that his turn bet after the cap should have slowed me down...

He showed Q8o for the flopped 2-pair.

Also, I would never smooth-call the flop, it was just a nice way to fit it into my post theme /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nate tha' Great
07-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Just call the turn and river against a typical opponent. He's given you enough info that one pair is no good.

gamblore99
07-29-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I would never smooth-call the flop, it was just a nice way to fit it into my post theme /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. smooth calling the flop doesnt make a lot of sense here.

I also agree with everyone who said they would slow down after the turn bet. With the board having a straight and flush draw, I think I would cap this flop like you did.