PDA

View Full Version : My play here troubles me greatly

tripdad
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Early in a live n/l tourney, a few orbits past the end of the re-buy period. so far, i haven't played much and have T17800 in chips(from starting stack of T15000). blinds are 400/800.

i am UTG w/KK. i raise to T2000. folded to SB(T16000), medium tight player, not too tricky. he thinks i bluff a lot, so he enters quite a few pots which i raise preflop and take a stab at me on the flop. BB(T19000) calls as well. he is very loose and passive. he falls in love with PP's to the point of calling down w/66 on a board with 3 overcards. i guess he thinks everyone is bluffing all the time.

Flop(T6000): 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets T2000, BB calls. my big problem here is that i have no idea where i stand. SB will do this every time with any overpair, and maybe less, like 66, and so will BB call. SB would also bet this way with a set, though. i'm not worried about BB now because i am certain he would have put in a baby raise with a set. understand that neither player takes into account the size of the pot when considering a bet...EVER.

with the pot at T10000 at this point, and me having T15800 left, what raise makes any sense other than all-in? well, knowing my opponents do not understand the concept protecting their hands with adequate bets, or pot odds, i could raise less than the size of the pot, right?

O.K., tell me what i should have done here, or what you would have done.

cheers!

SossMan
07-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I think a push is fine in this situation...if SB flopped a set, so be it. You should get calls by many hands that you are killing, and a couple of folds are just fine too. No way you are folding this, especially since the SB could easily put you on two big overs and call with his 77-TT.

MLG
07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I push, and expect to be ahead.

anatta
07-29-2004, 01:44 PM
I would push all-in. If the board was coordinated so that there could be a reasonable straight and two pair hands, then I would consider not blowing my whole tournie on one pair. But here, it looks like time to go for it.

tripdad
07-29-2004, 02:19 PM
my only issue with this line is that, assuming he does have 77-JJ, wouldn't you rather drag a bit more from him and make him make a mistake by calling a small/middle raise?

my thought was that i was definitely going to die on this hand...whether or not either opponent flopped a set. and if i was way ahead, i would rather take a large portion of their stacks. i don't think either would call an all-in without the set.

so, i raised to T6000. SB called and BB dropped out.

Turn(T12000): 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

i am sure this card did nothing for SB(unless it made him quads), as he would not have called preflop w/A7 or any other 7. he bets out another T2000, which i decide to just smooth call. again, if i'm beat, so be it. i can't fold IMO.

the river card is a blank. he pushes his T4000 or so and i call.

sure enough, when i asked him to show me a boat, he did. 22 and i'm crippled.

i guess i would have felt better about the hand had i pushed on the flop, but it really doesn't make a bit of difference, i was going to lose no matter what.

cheers!

Boylermaker
07-29-2004, 02:19 PM
I move all in.

kevyk
07-29-2004, 02:40 PM
The preflop action bothers me a little.

My standard move in this spot is the limp/reraise, especially early in the tournament.

Maybe you don't want to do that here if the table is as passive as you say. But you did give your opponent with the twos implied odds of 9:1 to call you, even before you consider that the pot was multiway. Maybe raise a bit more? If your opponent is as loose as you say, you may have been able to hook him for more preflop.

tripdad
07-29-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is as loose as you say, you may have been able to hook him for more preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is tight. BB is the loose one. i can't see limp/re-raising w/ KK UTG. besides, the table is quite passive and i can't count on anyone raising, especially this early on.

the premise behind your argument is very solid, though.

cheers!