PDA

View Full Version : Matt Dean Interview

Texter
07-29-2004, 12:56 PM
link (http://www.pokerlizard.com)

I can't believe he is still teaching after that big Payday...seems like a level headed kid.

daryn
07-29-2004, 01:22 PM
did he really make enough money to retire forever? what's wrong with teaching?

playerfl
07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
he made like $660k and sounds like he already bought a townhouse with it. Back to life, back to reality, but with a higher comfort level. Sounds good to me.

Texter
07-29-2004, 02:21 PM
As far as teaching there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten a big head and tried turning pro...I think most people would. Which is why I called him level headed. Sorry my first post sounded like I was dogging teachers.

Bluff Daddy
07-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Yea that 600k is about what he'd make in 20 years teaching.

playerfl
07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
but once its sunk into real estate still gotta pay the bills and still gotta have a life outside poker.

Rob Blackburn
07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
I played with Matt regularly prior to his WSOP cash, and I gotta say he is one of the nicest guys around. I have only played with him once since and he was very modest about his success.

This is a little thing I wrote in my blog right after the WSOP finished about the game Matt and I both play in.:

I have been in many hands with Matt here is my fave: Matt offered to chop the blinds with me once, I turned down the offer as per usual saying "sorry I don't chop", he questioned "You don't chop? OK" and he promptly raised. I called thinking it was a raise on principle just to show me the a-hole who doesn't chop a lesson. I was holding JsTs and the Flop came a AsQs7h, I bet out about half the pot thinking I had the best hand and best draws, he simply called. Turn came Ac and so I went into shutdown mode,an checked to him he bet out the pot and so I realized I must be wrong he is on AK or AQ and was easy to laydown. Matt then flips over his cards and shows pocket rockets for quad Aces. He was the one offering to chop, with bullets, if that isn't a nice guy I don't know what is.

Here is also a link to his trip report from WPC in dublin that was posted on the Houston poker board I moderate.

http://www.pokercampus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116&page=6&pp=10

daryn
07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
you had a out!

Tyler Durden
07-30-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Matt then flips over his cards and shows pocket rockets for quad Aces. He was the one offering to chop, with bullets, if that isn't a nice guy I don't know what is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda did this tonight in a PL game. I had AA in the BB, the SB opencompletes, I ask him, you don't want to chop? He says no. I look at my cards, see I have AA and raise.

Maybe Matt is a nice guy who hadn't looked at his hand yet? Or maybe he really is a very nice guy.

Rob Blackburn
07-30-2004, 11:05 AM
He had looked at his cards. He was just being nice, 99% of the players in this game chop, this was only my second or third time playing with him, and I don't think he was aware that I am one of the only non-chopping players in this game regularly.

turnipmonster
07-30-2004, 12:11 PM
you guys chop? no one chops in my local PL game ever. it's like an unwritten law or something.

--turnipmonster