PDA

View Full Version : How many consecutive losing sessions tolerated before re-evaluation??

teddyFBI
07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Although I'm relatively new to hold-em (only been playing for about 6 months, and only about 2 months online), I always considered myself a +EV player, but a string of losing sessions has made me think about re-evaluating. With my bankroll steadily climbing throughout my first 8 weeks of online play, I have lost $200-$300 in each of my last 7 days at the tables (!) (usually 4-tabling at Party and UB 3/6 tables), to nearly halve my overall profits.

I am not new to gambling psychology (I counted cards at BJ for about 5 years before switching over to poker), so I understand the variations and inevitable up and down streaks that can occur, but this latest losing streak really has me discouraged. How long a losing run do y'all think a +EV should tolerate before re-evaluating whether he is even +EV at all?

thomastem
07-29-2004, 12:06 PM
You should always re-evaluate your game.

As far as if you are a +EV or -EV player 1 week is VERY short run. Matter of fact 2 months is short run but closer to the long run than 1 week and a more reliable # as to if you are profitable or not.

pokerjo22
07-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi teddy,

I've played with you a lot at UB and you seem like a good player. I run into you at anything from 3/6, 4/8 or 5/10 though? I think four tabling 5/10 could cause you to have a $1.5K losing streak. The streaks online often seem so bad because they happen so quickly. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll pull through.

Lazymeatball
07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
If you aren't above even after 1400 hours, assuming a 1bb/hr earn rate at LHE, re-evaluate your play. Repeat.

scotnt73
07-29-2004, 01:02 PM
i usually cut down to 1 table of 1/2 shorthanded until i get my confidence back. i also reread hpfap. its cheap and shorthanded is fast enough to keep me interested when i move down limits. this is assuming you are a winning player though and it sounds like your a little early in your career to tell. i cant imagine playing 4 tables with just 2 months experience. i had been playing for 18 months and winning for 1 year of that before i started multi tabling.

teddyFBI
07-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, your name looks vaguely familiar from UB aswell. It's UB where i've been taking the hardest hits -- which is what has me discouraged, because I expect the bad beats from fish at Party, but it seems that there have been an inordinate # of fishy plays and miracle draws against me at UB of late, which is uncharacteristic...i could usually count on more predictable plays there, with less variation, but this past week has been more party-esque. I never play more than one 5/10 table at a time, because it's a little too high for my 3K bankroll. I played at a 10/20 game for 45 minutes once, and was flipping out on every hand. It was cool to drag some $250 pots, but my heart was in my throat every hand, and i was scared to raise, even when I knew i should.

Beck
07-30-2004, 04:36 AM
I've seen the 1400 hours-figure too, in Hilgers Internet hold'Em book. I guess it's referring to some sort of confidence level, but it isn't mentioned in the book. Does anybody know?

Shoe
07-30-2004, 05:00 AM
I have been having people outdraw me a lot on UB lately too. Pretty much just having trouble in the ring games, i have been doing well at the sit n go's. Still up for the month, but down for the last week or so. I don't think I've had a pocket pair of 10's or higher hold up for atleast 30 hands in a row now. Very frustrating while I wait for this streak to work itself out.