PDA

View Full Version : How would you have played it 4

hummusx
07-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Re-reading this one this morning, the whole thing just kind of looks like a mess. Let's examine each mistake individually.

Seat 9 is the button

Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: rbrownacme ( $700 )
Seat 5: OakStar ( $860 )
Seat 8: Brewer100 ( $770 )
Seat 10: murphy123 ( $750 )
Seat 9: hummusx ( $865 )
Seat 3: Murphy16 ( $845 )
Seat 2: JoeytheTard ( $770 )
Seat 4: CrazyGus ( $755 )
Seat 7: bobburt ( $1685 )

Blinds(10/15)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hummusx [ Jc As ]
JoeytheTard folds.
Murphy16 calls [15].
CrazyGus folds.
OakStar folds.
bobburt raises [30].
Brewer100 folds.
hummusx calls [30].
murphy123 folds.
rbrownacme folds.
Murphy16 calls [15].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 6c, 7c, 9c ]

Murphy16 checks.
bobburt bets [15].
hummusx raises [70].
Murphy16 folds.
bobburt calls [55].

** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
bobburt bets [15].
hummusx raises [150].
bobburt calls [135].

** Dealing River ** [ 5c ]
bobburt bets [700].
hummusx folds.

bobburt does not show cards.

bobburt wins 1255 chips

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Early on, I'll fold AJo preflop to a minraise almost 100% of the time. In fact, I'll fold it even if its folded to me in MP.

Fold on the flop. The board is coordinated and even if nobody has a made flush or straight you're either behind an overpair or dominated.

Fold on the turn. There's a 4-straight on the board and a possible flush on the board. Nobody folded to your flop raise. What could they possibly have called with that you can beat?

hummusx
07-29-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm not disagreeing, but on the turn I should fold to the bet of 15? I mean, assuming that I made the mistake of limping, and then made the mistake of raising on the flop (folding to 15 when the pot is tiny and I've shown no aggression doesn't bother me), isn't it pretty weak to fold to 15?

I think what I get hung up on in these situations is that in $5 and $10 games, there are a LOT of times where I'll get called to the river with nothing but overcards. I can't count the times where I have TPGK and go to the river only to see nothing but two overcards. I've been checkraised in these situations on the flop.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Let's see. You raised on the flop and were called. Now he minibets into you on the turn after a 4th str8 card falls. You have nothing. It's early in the tournament. You are behind any A with a kicker higher than 5(other than the identical hand you hold). Do you honestly think he played KQ like this?

I ask again. What do you think he has that you can beat?

hummusx
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly think he played KQ like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah. In $5 or $10, I see people play exactly like this with KQ or worse. I expect the type of person who would NOT hang in there with KQ to not bet $15. What kind of bet is that? I suppose it was a great amount because it incited me to bluff. Any reasonable bet I would have gotten out.

I'm not arguing with your advice, I posted this here because I know I played it wrong. I'm just trying to clarify that there was some kind of thought process going on in my head.

NegativeEV
07-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Kurn's thoughts are spot on IMO. The reason we are able to win consistently at the $11-$33 tables is that other players will call or bet to the river with AJ or KQ and no piece of the board. These are losing players who do this and this is WHY we win. Don't become one of them just because occasionally you'll take down a pot by having better junk than the other guy.