PDA

View Full Version : How would you have played it 3

hummusx
07-29-2004, 09:31 AM
I've got a huge log full of hands from last night that fall into a category where I just don't really know how to play them. In particular, when I get some of the flop and come out swinging and am subsequently called (or sometimes raised), and no scary cards come on the turn, I just don't know what to do. Checking is just inviting someone else to steal it, betting is putting precious chips on the line. These seem to be the hands where I either win a decent pot with almost nothing or beat myself up for losing way too many without a good hand.

This is early so I have no idea how anyone plays. Maybe the fact that it's so early means I shouldn't have been going after this one?

Seat 3 is the button

Total number of players : 10

Seat 8: remmy401 ( $770 )
Seat 6: pwalker5361 ( $680 )
Seat 1: UK_wildcats ( $755 )
Seat 5: cnatto ( $1000 )
Seat 4: hummusx ( $785 )
Seat 10: jacobar ( $680 )
Seat 7: smashedant ( $1125 )
Seat 9: JMandato ( $905 )
Seat 3: JimR56 ( $590 )
Seat 2: bdk1016 ( $710 )

Blinds(10/15)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hummusx [ 9h Ts ]
pwalker5361 folds.
smashedant folds.
remmy401 calls [15].
JMandato calls [15].
jacobar calls [15].
UK_wildcats folds.
bdk1016 folds.
JimR56 calls [15].
hummusx calls [5].
cnatto checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 6h, 4c, 9s ]

hummusx bets [90].
cnatto folds.
remmy401 folds.
JMandato folds.
jacobar calls [90].
JimR56 calls [90].

** Dealing Turn ** [ 6s ]

hummusx bets [200].
jacobar calls [200].
JimR56 calls [200].

** Dealing River ** [ 7h ]

hummusx checks.
jacobar bets [15].
JimR56 calls [15].
hummusx calls [15].

Milky
07-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I fold this junk pre-flop so I don't have to worry about hitting top pair only, like you did. Stick to the premium hands and you should do okay.

Or, if you're going to limp with hands like this, set some rules for yourself. If no straight/2 pr/set hit you on the flop then get out. Even if you end up with top pair high kicker (like you did) you still have to worry about a higher kicker (A-9 would be what I fear most here) or even a set.

JARID
07-29-2004, 12:03 PM
The pre-flop call is a must. It is only 5 more chips.

On the flop I think I check here and see how the action unfolds. If you get a weakish bet from someone on the end, you can check raise. Or if there is a great deal of action you can just fold and wait for a better time to get involved.

Obviously the call on the end is correct. How did it turn out?

-Jarid

Milky
07-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Ah, I didn't see he was the SB. Yeah, might as well call to see the flop but I would play very cautiously when that flop comes... I'd want to see where the other players are in the hand before I got committed with TPHK.

Cleveland Guy
07-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree you have to complete. But I have to ask, what's your plan with this hand?

I am starting to realize, and realize strongly, that each plan needs a hand based on what the board might do, and your posistion.

It's feasable your plan was that if you hit top pair, and the board doesn't look scary to lead out strong. Fine on the flop, but when you get that many calls, - and then the board pairs on 4th street you have to slow down. IMO.

I just don't get all the betting on the river? the call for 15 makes sense, but why lead 15 into a pot of 1000?