PDA

View Full Version : bad call or not?

salty
07-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Stars .50/1 no limit game.

I got a lot of hassle last night over this....so tell me what you think.I did not save the game to poker tracker so Ill do my best from memory.

Im in the sb with 23 suited,Ive been playing loose anyway and I call .50 as there was no raise.The bb makes it 5 to go and he is called in 4 spots.

My thinking is this:I should at least see the flop,There has to be some decent hands out there so they are possibly drawing thin,I'm first to act so if I hit my flop and check Im going to get good action if I miss Im out of there.

Anyone else calling?

What actually happened was I hit a straight and straight flush draw,the straight held up and a few people started to vent theyre frustration at my initial call.Only 1 other player agreed with the call and I dont know the views of the silent majority hence my question here.

SpiderMnkE
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
uhhh.... This call cannot be +EV. You are calling 8 more BBs to see a flop with 23. oh wait... 23 soooooted!! There are almost no flops that are good for you. Maybe you will flop the A$$ end of a straight draw... or a the nut low flush draw.. whooooopie!!!

Imagine calling 4 more bux in that spot over and over and over again.. if the exact same situation kept happening. Logically... not even doing math... do you think that you will make money doing that?

Maybe with your stack you can see 12 flops like that. Is it likely that even once out of those 12 times you come out the winner.

Also.. this hand is much worse than say 56s... you can make a lot more straights with 56 than 23.

Even the fish at your table knew this was bad... haha... don't worry though... they probably don't know about the forum... so you will soon be taking their money with real poker playing.

salty
07-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Appeciate your thoughts spidermike.Like I had said I was playing loose,this does not make the call any better and to be honest it wasnt the suited part that sold the hand,I felt I could pretty much see the flop with most hands by virtue of the pot that was forming.

I started playing this game(50/1 nl) earlier this week and was playing weak tight and loosing,I just need to make the adjustments from loose aggressive to tight aggressive....which could take a while.Just as a postscript to this.....since I changed to a more aggressive style I have been doing well,but I agree with you that the writing may be on the wall and the short term luck factor is running out.I will be reading and posting here more often as I generally post in the tourney section though I may have found my new home.

Thanks.

schwza
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
yeah, i'm not gonna lie to you, that's a pretty bad call. you should not even call the .50 from the SB. NLHE is a game about position and winning or losing your whole stack, not about saving a half a big blind and getting in for a bargain. playing a crappy hand out of position is rarely a good idea. as the other poster noted, 23 makes 2 straights, only 1 of which is the nuts. 45 makes 4 straights, 3 of which are the nuts.

once it's raised, then the fold become all the more automatic. unless the flop comes two pair, trips, or a made straight, you can't be all that happy about it. get out while you can.

Nate Finch
07-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Bad bad bad bad bad. 23, suited or not, is pretty much an autofold for me, and in the small blind? Absolute worst position? Hell no.

-Nate

Garland
07-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Need to know the stack sizes to see if it's worth a call, but if it's being called in 4 other spots and you close the action, then sure, you can opt to gamble, and that is exactly what it is, gambling. Just as long as you're willing to let go of top pair after the flop you should be fine /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Garland

tubbyspencer
07-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Uhhhhh, I really may be missing something here - but how does one flop top pair with 32? That is, without flopping a boat....?

Garland
07-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Hence the joke /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Garland

JrJordan
07-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I don't even call the initial limp most of the time. The cold call of the raise is horrendous.

tubbyspencer
07-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Duh! I am a genius - lol.

umdpoker
07-30-2004, 02:07 AM
i really don't like it. there is exactly one way to flop an oesd. if you hit a flush, its a crappy crappy flush. 2 pr is vulnerable to anything on the board pairing. dunno what else to say. bad call. bad.

lordfoo
07-30-2004, 04:53 AM
If the stacks are deep, autofolding here is way too weak.