PDA

View Full Version : Poker Stars WCOOP 1st event yesterday...

KC50
07-29-2004, 08:18 AM
...was won by a player who's handle was AustinKearns. He was quite rude and arrogant with his chat at the final table. Lee jones even had to warn him to cease his profanity or his chat would be revolked immediately.

Just wondered if anyone else sweated the final table yesterday and knows who this yo-yo of a character is?

KC

steeser
07-29-2004, 09:24 AM
He plays OF for the Cincinnati Reds, but he's been out with an injury for much of this year.

Funny, he seems so softspoken in interviews...get him behind a computer playing poker and he becomes obnoxious.

Tuco
07-29-2004, 11:43 AM
He was an idiot. When we got down to 3 players, he had two of us badly outchipped, and we wanted to make a save without him because he refused a deal. Lee Jones said that he needed all the participants approval to stop the tourney for a minute so MIK and I could deal. Kearns said no, even though the deal didnt involve him. Also, he keep telling us to "suc his dic".

He was hyper-aggressive, which worked quite well at that table. He almost busted himself twice even though he had an insurmountable lead. At one point, with 5 left and him raising every hand, I thought he might just finish 5th.

Tuco.

HavanaBanana
07-29-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When we got down to 3 players, he had two of us badly outchipped, and we wanted to make a save without him because he refused a deal. Lee Jones said that he needed all the participants approval to stop the tourney for a minute so MIK and I could deal. Kearns said no, even though the deal didnt involve him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if there are 3 players left the deal also involved him, think about it.

ToT

Tuco
07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if there are 3 players left the deal also involved him, think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood what I meant. He was not involved in the negotiations. Of course the deal involved him, but it's common courtesy to let others deal even if you don't want to.

Thanks for condecending lesson tho.

Tuco.

KC50
07-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah I saw him type the suc comment. Can't believe he's really a pro ball player as steeser indicated. He certainly doesn't represent himself as a professional anything. Except for maybe a professional dic himself.

KC

gabyyyyy
07-29-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I saw him type the suc comment. Can't believe he's really a pro ball player as steeser indicated. He certainly doesn't represent himself as a professional anything. Except for maybe a professional dic himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

The name is that of a ball player. The poker player is most likely not the real Austin and is just using the name.

Matt24
07-29-2004, 02:55 PM
that wasnt the real Austin Kearns, geez, give me a break

KC50
Yeah I was thinking that as well. Makes sense.

KC50

jwvdcw
[ QUOTE ]
He plays OF for the Cincinnati Reds, but he's been out with an injury for much of this year.

Funny, he seems so softspoken in interviews...get him behind a computer playing poker and he becomes obnoxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif great post

BradleyT
07-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Congrats on your results. I assume you got 3rd?

curtains
07-30-2004, 02:09 AM
I would never let 2 opponents make a deal with that kind of money on the line. A huge part of the chip leaders advantage is being able to bully the shorter stacks because they really dont want to come in 3rd. If I found out my two opponents made a save at that point, I would try to have them forfeited and awarded first place, and I don't think I'd be at all out of bounds doing so.
Despite all of that the guy was a total dickhead, and congrats on your finish.

1800GAMBLER
07-30-2004, 02:34 AM
If you were in the final 3 you spoiled it for yourself when asking for him to make a deal and he said 'it's overrr'. You should have taken more time to explain to him you would give him first place (or first place -$1k) and fixed your own deal with 2nd/3rd, but once he said 'it's overrr' both of you given up.

Gotmilk
07-30-2004, 03:18 PM
curtains, people make all kinds of saves all the time. I am not a big fan of this. However, using the fact that they made a save to try to forfeit them sounds like one of the most slimiest underhanded things one could do to undeservedly win a tournament.

Meatmaw
07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Could someone explain what it means to "make a save"?

curtains
07-30-2004, 04:24 PM
In this circumstance, this save would greatly influence the strategy involved. It's a very unfair advantage to the lower stacks to make a deal like this, as one of the big advantages the giant stack has is that everytime they raise, the smaller stacks are scared to call.
Once the 2nd +3rd place guys make a private deal amongst themselves, this fear is no longer there, and your chances of stealing pots as the leader go down. I think its completely unfair and unethical, and if it's stated publicly that the 2nd+3rd place guys are trying to do such a thing, they should be forfeited, given 2nd+3rd place money, and 1st place money should be awarded to the big stack.
Regardless of whether people do it all the time, If I were to attempt to make a private deal with the other short stack in that situation, I'd consider it cheating, as I think its pretty obvious that it affects the gameplay, without the consent of one of the players.

Meatmaw
07-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Granted I still don't know what a "save" is, but I can't see how anything short of conceding 1st place to the chip leader could be ethical. Any "deal" between any two players after which the game continues can hardly be anything short of collusion, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong (with an example).

And/or tell me what a save is. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gotmilk
07-30-2004, 04:32 PM
yes i know, but whining to support for a forfeit isnt the mark of a champion!

curtains
07-30-2004, 04:50 PM
I would inform the tournament director of what happened, and I would expect the director to forfeit the players on his or her own. I wouldn't cry for a forfeit, although I think it would be the expected result in any reputable tournament.
Imagine if every time you played a sit and go on partypoker, the 2 short stacks made a deal to split whatever prize money they win. It would change the strategy so drastically.

jasonHoldEm
07-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

threeonefour
07-31-2004, 02:24 AM
that is the ugliest human being i have ever seen....

...i am not going to be able to sleep tonight after seeing that...

Myrtle
07-31-2004, 09:11 AM
In the simplest terms, a “save” in this particular example would be when the 2 smaller stacks agreed to combine 2nd & 3rd place money, and split it 50/50…thereby “saving” either of them from finishing 3rd and taking less money.

There are all kinds of saves possible……think about it for a second.

It all depends on the flexibility, mind-set, stack size and ultimately the disposition of each player.

They key issue when these kinds of deals happen is…….Is the proposed deal public and on the table for all remaining players to consider? If ANY deal is negotiated without the knowledge of all the remaining players, then it is unethical.

However, let’s say that in this case being discussed, one of the 2 short stacks offers the following deal to the table…..”Mr. Chipstack leader, give us X% of the 1st place prize, and we’ll concede 1st place & the trophy to you, and we’ll add the percentage that you give us and split 2nd & 3rd equally.”

Again, the potentials are limited only by ones imagination. I’ll give you another real example.

Last year at the World Poker Finals at Foxwoods, my friend Craig and I traded 20% of each other. I got knocked out 9th and collected my $$. He went on to end up being H/U. The stacks between he and the other player were roughly equal. 1st place was 27K….2nd was 14K. Once it got H/U, Craig offered a “deal” to the other player. The other player was very adamant about not even wanting to talk about a deal with Craig! They then decided to take a 5-minute pit-stop break.

During that break, I approached the other player and asked him what his objections were to even discussing a deal. He then told me that he had been in this situation once before and he had been taken advantage off by another more experienced player, hence he decided that he would never again even consider making a deal. He also said that he wanted to “win” 1st place.

I told him that I understood where he was at, but then proposed the following to him…… Add 1st and 2nd place together….That’s 41K total. Given that he & Craig were roughly even in chips, I proposed to him that they “Save” 17K each, and play for the remaining 7k and the trophy. He thought about it for about 5 seconds and said… “That’s a good deal, I’ll do that”…..and they made the deal.

The moral of the story is……ALWAYS listen to any proposition that is offered! Here was a guy that was dead-set against making any deals, but when one was presented to him in the proper manner, he changed his mind almost immediately! Why?….. Because it made sense to him and overcame his fear of being taken advantage of.

How did it end up? Craig finished 2nd, BUT the deal I made for him essentially paid for my 20% share of his winnings. The other guy got to “play” for the trophy and won it and the extra 7k, while at the same time mitigating his potential downside by accepting the deal.

ANY deal works well only when it can be crafted as a WIN/WIN for all involved. Any experienced businessperson fully understands this…………