PDA

View Full Version : playing vs open limpers and min raisers

jdl22
07-29-2004, 04:11 AM
I am trying out my SNG play by playing some 10+1 NL SNGs on party. I have some experience with NL ring games from NL25 through NL100. One thing that I don't understand in these SNGs is players open limping late in a tournament and when they come in with a raise or raise a bettor postflop it's a min raise. At these tables it seems every tournament there will be at least one player that plays this way. I don't see how it could possibly be correct play and suspect the frequency is due to the low limit. Am I correct on that?

Also how should I adjust my play to these conditions? I often try to raise people that open limp earlier to get a feel for whether they will drop their hands or not, but sometimes my stack isn't really deep enough for such experimentation. Most of them fold to a big raise but will call a smallish one (3 bb for example). As for the min raisers I find this a bit more difficult. At least with the limpers I can take advantage by seeing a free flop with trash and getting infinite odds to flop the 772 to match my 27, but the min raisers leave me in a bind. What do you guys do when min-raised and you have a hand like JTs, K9s, or QTo? I know it depends on table conditions and stack sizes. Normally I will fold if either me or the raiser is short stacked and a raise is likely to get called. When I'm deep I nearly always reraise with this type of hand to discourage the min-raising.

If this has been covered before and somebody could be nice enough to provide a link that would be fine.