PDA

View Full Version : I flop good. Basic Hand

Chris Daddy Cool
07-29-2004, 04:08 AM
6/12 hand I played tonight
Just making sure I still remember how to play basic profit maximizing poker here.

Folded to me in MP and I openraise with A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. The button, a knowledgable dealer, 3-bets. Coldcall by super loose fishy chick in the BB. I mutter under my breath "Flop the nuts!" and call.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

That's a pretty good flop for me. BB checks. I check. Button bets. BB calls. I call.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks. I check again. Button bets. BB calls. I checkraise. Button 3-bets. BB folds. I cap. Button calls.

River: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. He calls.

How'd I do?

Any other preferred lines?

PokerNoob
07-29-2004, 12:55 PM
I presume you're trying to balance getting overcalls from ultrafish BB with enough aggression vs a hand button may shovel chips in with. You don't want to scare off BB if she's drawing thin and you don't want button to go into calldown mode fearing AJ or TT if that beats him. Since the flop is in the zone, and probably hit BB enough that she likes it and will coldcall a raise, I would bet the flop, be raised and hope she coldcalls. Now the first choice point... since there are so many action killing cards that can come and since we may not like the board pairing, I want to charge people now, so I would reraise. If he caps, you can checkraise the turn card, hopefully collecting another bet from BB before she decides to fold her gutshot or whatever. I'm pretty sure you can 3-bet the flop here and checkraise the turn before button wises up. The flop checkcall/turn checkraise sets off monster alarms for most opponents. I think you want to look like a sorta strong and maybe overaggresive AK, AQ, TT here and let KK or QQ shovel chips in until they realize its too late and their boat out never materializes.

Garland
07-29-2004, 01:15 PM
I would lead the flop and hope for a raise by BB. If the chick gal calls, you can put her on a draw or a piece of it. Then call and check-raise the turn and get as much action you can out of it.

Garland

MoreWineII
07-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Does that really work? I mean the muttering of "flop the nuts"?

I'm going to have to try that.

pokerkai
07-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I bet the flop, smooth call a raise, with the intention of check raising the turn regardless of what hits. No sense getting cold feet with this monster.

chson
07-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Why not check-raise the flop and turn?

[ QUOTE ]
6/12 hand I played tonight
Just making sure I still remember how to play basic profit maximizing poker here.

Folded to me in MP and I openraise with A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. The button, a knowledgable dealer, 3-bets. Coldcall by super loose fishy chick in the BB. I mutter under my breath "Flop the nuts!" and call.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

That's a pretty good flop for me. BB checks. I check. Button bets. BB calls. I call.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks. I check again. Button bets. BB calls. I checkraise. Button 3-bets. BB folds. I cap. Button calls.

River: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. He calls.

How'd I do?

Any other preferred lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro
07-29-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coldcall by super loose fishy chick in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not talking in poker terms anymore are you, you dirty animal.

sfer
07-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Why force the BB to call two bets?

sfer
07-29-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not check-raise the flop and turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. A preflop 3-betting hand likely has a big piece of this. I think you can checkraise the flop and hope for a 3-bet, making a turn checkraise attempt fairly safe.

PokerNoob
07-29-2004, 02:07 PM
I think she's that bad, and its likely that flop hit her enough for her to call two cold at this point. She called 3 cold preflop.

sfer
07-29-2004, 02:09 PM
She called 2 cold preflop. Maybe she is that bad but if you want to keep her in why not checkraise?

PokerNoob
07-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Is that coldcalling 2 or 3? I never thought about the semantics of that before. Will she call two more after you checkraise and are reraised? Even the densest opponents may not want to chase the gutshot or bottom pair after that, but she might call two and then two more. The other thing about betting out is that it looks more like a mp openraise button 3-bet pissing contest rather than a nut hand. If he 3-bet light thinking I was openraising light, I don't want to shut him down just yet.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
The main thing in this hand was trying to trap the BB for extra bets and trying to get the button to give me extra action.

The line I did not like at all was checkraising the flop and then checkraising the turn. If I took that line, the button for sure was not going to 3-bet another checkraise and I'd be losing extra big bets.

At the time I thought of betting the flop and then smoothcalling a raise and then checkraising the turn and I would have probably gotten the same action from the button, but I was concerned with BB folding when forced to call 2 cold on the flop.

Anyhoo button had KK and MHIG and he mutters "Lucky bastard." and I just grin like an idiot as I stack up the chips.