PDA

View Full Version : Question about standard deviation and hourly rate.

craig r
07-29-2004, 03:18 AM
I don't usually post in this forum, but I thought this would probably be the right one. I have a few questions about standard deviation. I usually play on two tables at the same time. When I am figuring out my hourly rate, would i multiply by 2, since i am really playing x man hours? for example, if i play two tables for 4 hours, i am really playing 8 hours. the reason i am asking, is because if i am capping sports, i will sometimes play only one table, but if i computed my hourly rate based on total hours, instead of man hours, i will have differing numbers for my average hourly rate. and the way that i keep my records is for a full session (especially since i am constantly changing tables when a table becomes undesireable), which means, if i play 2 tables i total up all my winnings (or losses) for both tables. i hope this makes sense. i am just trying to figure out the best way to keep my records and anazlyze the data.

craig

geek
07-30-2004, 05:13 PM
craig,

The method of summing two table hours together will mask your standard deviation. The standard deviation is a function of 1/sqrt(n). In other words, if you always combine two tables, the standard deviation you end up with will be about 70% of your true yourly rate standard deviation. The easiest way to avoid this masking is to log each individual table hour separately.

Nottom
07-31-2004, 05:41 PM
First ... get pokertarcaker if you don't already have it.

If you want to keep track of everything yourself, then I would recomend keep separate records for single-tabling vs 2-tabling.

Not only will it be more accurate, but you will also see how much the 2nd table affects your win rate.