PDA

View Full Version : sometimes check-calling is the best option!

umdpoker
07-29-2004, 01:46 AM
so far tonight, i have won 2 fairly large pots by check-calling down to the river with a strong but possibly dominated hand, and it has paid off beautifully. 1 time, the bettor was on a complete bluff, yet managed to give me $13 of his money at a nl25 table. he clearly would have folded to a huge bet. it seems to me that almost any trips/bad kicker, or crap 2 pr hand could be played this way more profitably than by betting, simply because people don't know when to give up on a bluff. these same lags are smart enough, however to lay down tptk against me when i make a big raise myself. so, do you think i got lucky tonight, or is this a good way to play dangerous-almost monster- hands out of position?

SuitedSixes
07-29-2004, 06:09 AM
I have also found this to be true.

JrJordan
07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
I think this is reasonable in a heads up situation. At this level, there are very few players who will bet a straight/flush draw. So in a HU situation, you don't really mind the LAG seeing an extra card for cheap. I feel much less comfortable, however, if there's a third opponenet in the hand, also limping through. Your first goal should be to isolate the LAG to extract the max from him. If you can get in this situation, then I'm all for the good ole check/call.