PDA

View Full Version : AKo from the button, reraise PF?

RustyCJ
07-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($26.10)
Hero ($33.35)
SB ($31.40)
BB ($12.75)
UTG ($47.45)
UTG+1 ($22.20)
MP1 ($20)
MP2 ($11.15)
MP3 ($10.05)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0,50.

Flop: ($4.25) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $12.25
<font color="green">Main Pot: $8.25, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $4, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins $12.25. </font>

Should I reraise PF? cold call ok? If I was suited I would seriously consider reraising but since I'm not, I figure just calling, seeing what the flop brings and what action comes to me is ok.

Pretty harmless flop, should I smooth call the flop and hit on the turn? Raise amount ok? too much?

Huskiez
07-29-2004, 05:12 PM
I would definitely consider reraising here. Usually I have found a min raise preflop to be AA or a suited connector trying to get a cheap flop and hoping no one reraises them. So if UTG goes over the top, I can probably let this go.

I think your raise amount on the flop is fine (around $6-8 seems good). I'd personally raise the flop, trying to get KQ or KJ to hand over some chips. However it is true this board is not so threatening, but I usually like to get money in early in the hand.

JrJordan
07-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I reraise this flop for two reasons. First it helps you find out where you are relative to the initial raiser. If he reraises, it's an easy fold and you save more money than by trying to bet/raise on the flop. If he calls, then he most likely has a lower pair or something like AQ/AJ. Either way, if your A or K hits (assuming no set), you are ahead.

Second, when you are ahead it helps to build a nice pot for you. You would certainly win more in your example if you raised preflop, and then he folded to your flop bet. As long as you can get away from AK to a reraise, I'd raise AK in position almost every time.

Chazbot2000
07-29-2004, 05:34 PM
In addition to the reasons JrJordan gave for reraising preflop, one more reason: the flop can miss you completely and a big bet from you will take it down anyways.

JrJordan
07-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah, forgot that one /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tubbyspencer
07-29-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure why JrJordan says to fold if your flop raise is reraised. What are we afraid of here? That he min raised with KK? Two Pair seems unlikely. I don't fold to a reraise post flop here. Too many fish at these limits to give up TPTK here, IMHO. I've seen plenty of reraises from KQ or KJ or even middle pair at these limits to let it go.