PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds and diamonds and diamonds oh my!

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 02:18 PM
These were back-to-back hands against the same villian (who had sat down a few hands earlier and had been raising ever since).

Questions/requests for criticism appear at the end of each hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (9.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.20 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (17.20 BB).</font>

*results a little later*

a.) Poor preflop call UTG? Table was fairly loose/passive.

b.) What was my turn play here? Anybody take a different line?

c.) Bad cap on the river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.70 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.70 BB).</font>

*results to come*

a.) Was there *any* excuse for this preflop call? Keep in mind my observations of CO so far (raising machine). Either he was LAG or he was getting some awfully good hands.

b.) Same goes for the cap on the flop. Dumb, in retrospect, I believe. I WILL NOT BE POOSHED AROUND!

c.) Turn bet ok?

d.) River check-raise here? Or just lead?

arkady
07-28-2004, 02:42 PM
oh boy...not a fan.

hand 1:

PF: Table has to be very loose to limp with that.
Flop: I prefer a check-raise much more than betting out into pre flop aggressors. Once you do the C/R, you might still pull off a free card on the turn.
River: Fine cap, if he has the nut flush - good for him. If he has no flush, he he has a set and will be very angry to lose to you like that.

Hand 2.

PF: What are you doing!? Fold this. sigh... Did CO showdown something weird in Hand 1 that caused the call? I dont get it. Anyway...

Flop/Turn/RiverP:

I'll just say you pumped that pot for value, because the guy has an overpair, but you had another T/A/ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif as outs and played that ok. CO here prolly has QQ/KK.

PokerNoob
07-28-2004, 02:42 PM
1a) I really don't like the UTG open limp unless the table is an absolute passive limpfest.

1b) If CO is a maniac, you could checkraise to knock UTG+1 out, if maniac's ahead you've got flush and gutshot outs and maybe even 6 good overcard outs.

1c) I cap all day long with 2nd nut.

2a) Only if you knew UTG+1 was reverse isolating the maniac. He's a few too many players in front for that though.

2b) TPTK with a nut flush redraw against the maniac? Cap.

2c) Yes, you want him to raise. Even maniacs will sometimes lie down to a c/r. I love stop and going maniacs.

2d) Same as above.

Tosh
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Hand 1: Preflop fine. Check-raise the flop. Turn and river good, I hope he had QQ not the bigger flush.

Hand 2: Preflop call is very poor. You played well postflop though.

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 02:53 PM
This table was in transition. It *had* been a passive/limpfest dream until CO sat down.

I hadn't adjusted yet. That's my excuse for limping in hand 1.

During hand 2, I was steaming, no excuses. You figure out what CO had in hand 1. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

arkady
07-28-2004, 02:58 PM
If you have not adjusted, then dont limp in with KTs! There are more inexpensive ways to adjust.

Removed some psycho analysis on CO, not necessary.

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
What I mean by not having adjusted was that I thought I could still limp in early position with a less than stellar hand and see a cheap flop.

Arkady, hand 1 put *me* on slight tilt. He had A3 demons for the ace-high flush.

Hand 2, I was going to show those damn diamonds who's boss. Don't ask, I don't know wtf I was thinking.

btw, CO had KK in hand 2. Nice reads, MoreWineII. Nice effin' reads.

My reason for posting these was just that: to show how losing one hand with the second nut can cloud your decisions in subsequent hands.

There's no way I should have been holding cards postflop in hand 2.

Tosh
07-28-2004, 03:12 PM
The limp is more than likely to be fine, forget about it.

arkady
07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
I was hoping by the way you phrased the question, that he had the lower flush. Ahh and then that sort of explains your action in hand 2, you have to remain cool...otherwise Party will just repeatedly bash your BR over the head with a large rusty sledge hammer.

I been playing in the early evening in the 5/10 games and they resemble the 2+2 thursday night games, limpers are rare. Then of course you see some crazy games where i would limp UTG with 33...only you can decide which game you were in.

Btw, don't second guess your flop cap in hand 2. Because if you put him on overcards (not AA) then you are slightly better than even money to win it. So cap away /images/graemlins/smile.gif

arkady
07-28-2004, 03:20 PM
What are you saying, my table selection sucks? You mean when they see the flop 22% of the time, I should find another table? Hmmm? huh? ehh?

P.S. party sucks.

Tosh
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm saying KTs is playable UTG in the majority of games.

EDIT: I'm also saying its not important if it was slightly wrong in this case.

arkady
07-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Ahh, who am I kidding - I play this like all the time. I guess, I don't recommend it to most and more importantly, for the past 2 weeks there have definitely been 5/10 games where I *should* be throwing it away and would tell others to. But instead I come in for a raise, however thats another story.

i wonder if thats why I am down...*hmmm*

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 03:30 PM
The only reason I would second-guess my post-flop play in hand 2 is because I think it was half-way done out of irritation.

I couldn't push that raise button fast enough.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

arkady
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
that my friend, you should certainly work on.

however, whether you knew it or not you were something like a 52 or 53% favorite /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I knew it was close.

I mean I wasn't *totally* tilting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

arkady
07-28-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean I wasn't *totally* tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i am a little pink elephant.

MoreWineII
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM