PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of taking a break from online poker

teddyFBI
07-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Have you guys found taking a break from online play every once in a while to help or hurt your game?

I only started playing online in May, but have literally played every single day for 2 months now (averaging 4-6 hours a day); yep, I'm hooked. But after losing sessions 5 out of my last 6 days (despite playing no differently - and arguably better - than before when I was a gradual and consistent winner), I'm really frustrated and thinking of taking some time away (maybe a week or two, what do you think?)

Do you think I'll come back to the tables with a fresher feel and a clear head, or that the time away will make me a little rusty?

Paul2432
07-28-2004, 01:27 PM
I would definitely take some time off.

Paul

Arnie
07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm taking a break right now, Ive been playing a few home games lately, but nothing online. I got tired of it so I stopped. And I won't pick it back up until I want to play. I consider poker a very serious hobby, but if i stop enjoying it, or start getting burned out, Ill take a break from it. Unless your a pro, don't force yourself to play....you will play worse and get even more frustrated.

JRichman
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I find that my game changes subtlely when I am on an extended losing streak, as I start to get psychologically involved in the game. I call down just a little too much and play just a little too aggressively.

In my case, I've found that a break of even a few days helps me gather myself, and get back in the "cool and detached" state of mind that makes a winning poker player.

Of course, some players have the discipline to play the whether on a winning streak or losing streak. In those cases, a break is unlikely to help.

Since you describe yourself as "frustrated," I definitely think a break would help.

Leo Bello
07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
A break is always good. Principally because in life u need equilibrium.
You won´t get rusty.

jagoff
07-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Yes indeed it does help. Matter of fact tonight will be the first time that I fired up a poker site in about 1 1/2 weeks. I bought a bunch of PS2 games to keep my mind off of poker. It wasn't because I was suffering through a losing streak or cold decks it was just because I was dead tired of playing the game. I can see me going to sleep at 5 am tonight.

kiemo
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I have young children, which means I take a break from online poker pretty much every circuit.

TimM
07-28-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only started playing online in May, but have literally played every single day for 2 months now (averaging 4-6 hours a day); yep, I'm hooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this. For the last three months though I've been sticking to a strict 3 hour per day limit, win or lose. I was playing too long after work and neglecting other things. This has helped, and lately I find after 3 hours of 3 table limit ring, I look forward to the three hours being up.

I also don't try to squeeze in a short session if I know I have something to do later in the evening and don't have enough time for the full 3 hours. Instead I take the night off.

I don't thing a week or two break would really hurt, and you can always spend some of that time reading about poker rather than playing.

HotorNot
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Absolutlely, doing too much of one thing can hurt your preformance at what it is you are doing. Poker is no different, after a good run at the 10/20 or 15/30 I take a break and cashout, then reload with a small amount and play micro limits and work it back up. This way the risk factor is mininal in regards to giving the money back and my confidence gets a boost in preperation of bigger games. Sort of tricking my mind....