PDA

View Full Version : Game Theory Question?

Hermes
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I have seen many posts on the subject of applying game theory to figure out proper bluffing frequency. I assume game theory should also be able to help figure out the proper frequency with which you should vary your play. How would I go about this?

For example:
I have raised pre-flop and now have position over the two remaining players. In this spot I will "generally" make a position bet on the flop if it is checked to me, regardless of whether I have hit the flop. If I do this too frequently, players will figure out what I'm doing and 1) fold less often 2) slow-play me.

How often should I check in this situation rather than position bet to prevent this (mainly #2)?

Mucking Idiot
07-28-2004, 05:19 PM
ALmost randomly, if you completely miss flop(no draw either). Check just enough so they dont realize that you are really betting everything.

Gally327
07-29-2004, 03:40 PM
No you are not supposed to bluff randomly. It depends on how much money is in the pot and how likely you are to make your hand. If there is a ton of money in the pot then you are most likely going to be called so a semi-bluff or bluff is less profitable and vise versa. If your opponents seem to know your bluffs well, just pick random cards to bluff on like Kh. Make the odds that you are bluffing roughly close to the pot odds in this situation by picking random cards to bluff on. Trust me it helps. Although randomness is a part of the decision, the decision to bluff is a calculated enevour. This will lead to more profitable bluffs and sounder play.
"Respect though, you gotta earn it...So let's play, playa."
Ryan

Smasharoo
07-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Flip a coin.

Literally.

Duke
07-30-2004, 05:29 AM
If you raised pre-flop isn't there a decent chance you have the best hand whether it hit you or not?

~D