PDA

View Full Version : Question about small stakes aggression

SayGN
07-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Yesterday I decided to take advantage of the 7sultans deal for $10 just for signing up (i know that I don't have the bankroll to play on anything more than .01/.02 but the minimum table is .05/.1, so I was playing there). The max buy-in was $5 so I started with that and just played 1 table. I was raising preflop whenever I caught good cards but was rarely connecting once the flop came. In most situations I would bet the flop if I didn't connect just to make people think I have a set or an overpair and play what I consider to be aggressive poker (i am pretty tight preflop). Unfortunately, when the board misses me, even if it's all rags and I try to bet people out, I'll get a caller or two and usually I'll get beat by middle pair or something. Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I raise withuot a high pocket pair preflop and miss the board, should I be check/folding to these micro players?

cornell2005
07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
if you are getting called alot on the flop when you bet out, then you need to adjust which hands you raise preflop. now, you dont want to raise AQ, AJ preflop. likely you will raise, and get called by several people. likely, the board will miss you. then you bet out, and likely you get called by several people, now your in a jam. You have no pair, the pot is big, and you cant make the bad players fold their middle pair. The best way to combat this is to avoid the situation entirely by adjusting what hands you raise PF to begin with.

instead, dont feel bad about limping with hands like AJ, AQ, even AK, and make money off of Ax when an A flops, ect. Because they are bad, they will pay you off with A6 when an A flops and you have AK. When people are not good enough to fold a flop when they hit bottom or middle pair, simply stop raising with hands that put you in that position. When you limp with AQ, ect, and miss the flop, go ahead and let it go if bet into. No harm done.

However, keep raising QQ, KK, AA. you will get called pf, and will get called on the flop when people hit their pair of 10s or whatever. When you feel some resitance by the other guy, just shut down the aggression and try to keep the pot small. Also, when you have AA, KK, and the flop comes J high, dont feel the need to pot bet it. you can bet like 2/3 or 3/4 pot, as bad players are even more likely to call with their top pair low kicker, or middle pair, if the bet seems small enough.

Poker is a constant game of adjustment, and currently some parts of your game work better against non-idiots. However, with a couple adjustments, you can start killing the low level games much more regularly than you could ever be killing the larger stakes games.

SayGN
07-28-2004, 02:29 PM
thanks for the reply. when i get home today I will try doing exactly that. I wasn't being patient enough with the hands i was raising on and it led to me being pot-committed more times than i want to admit...thanks bk