PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone lay this down here?

steeser
07-28-2004, 11:01 AM
This hand comes from a 200+15 SNG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

CO (t965)
Button (t1120)
SB (t945)
BB (t3345)
UTG (t1055)
Hero (t815)
MP1 (t845)
MP2 (t910)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t60, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t60, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t225) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, MP2 folds.

Turn: (t375) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t60</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, UTG calls t60.

River: (t615) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t800 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t560 (All-In).

Final Pot: t1975

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ah Jh (flush, ace high).
Hero shows 9d 9s (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: UTG wins t1975. </font>

After hitting the set on the flop, I decided to just call to see if the other player would come along. With that board I didn't think I would get any action, although obviously a heart draw would have been interested.

On the turn, when we were heads up, I still didn't feel that my opponent had any piece of the board, so I thought that the min raise would make me look weak and still make him want to call with a hand like AJ or AK.

Then when he pushed on the river, I decided to call, thinking he was representing the flush.

So while I think I misplayed it on the flop and turn (especially the turn, first time I have ever min-raised like that that I can think of), could anyone have gotten away on the river?

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Stesser,

I like the flop call, I don't like the min raise on the turn, I'd make it something more substantial.

The thing about this hand is, while you had a monster, you didn't allow your opponent to make a mistake. Chances are you lose it all here anyway, but on a two tone flop on the turn, you can give a flush draw horrible odds to see the river--which is sometimes why it pays to come alive with your set on the turn.

Your opponent played this hand perfectly--but you allowed him too. I'd raise to about T250-300 on the turn.

-Jason

Cleveland Guy
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Stees - in Looking at this it's a tough lay down, but taking time to look at everything - there is plenty of reason to lay it down.

1. The is a straight on the board
2. There is a flush on the board

He easily could have had any 2 hearts, or something like KJ of spades. Playing both the flush and inside straight draw.

Either way- based on your betting and his cards - he knew that 10 was of no help to you compared to him. The all in would make me really wonder why.

Also, maybe it's just me, but in 2nd postion against a raiser I don't know if I like the call of the Min. Raise against the UTG. I'd maybe re-raise to 100 or 120 - try and get it heads up. I think you invite too many people to play the flop - you had one caller behind, and unless they had trash, BB was getting great odds to call about anything.

Not saying it would have changed anything, but I might try and get this down to heads up pre-flop. and if anyone else re-raised you I'd fold. Just my 2 cents.

steeser
07-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I tend to agree that I needed to come alive much more on the turn, but for some reason I didn't put him on the flush draw. At the same time I wanted him to play with a far weaker hand than mine, and figured the min-raise would satisfy that. That being said, the min-raise is something I hate and I hate myself for doing it in this case. But, hindsight being 20/20 the result may have ended up being the same.

As far as the river, his push screamed at me that he was representing the flush but didn't have it. Putting myself in his shoes, I would have taken my min-raise as kind of weak, and that I could be pushed off the hand by a scary river card. I would have led out, but for less than all-in. In this case though, whether or not he was thinking on that many levels, it worked to perfection.

As for re-raising pre-flop, I was inviting callers by calling intentionally. With the blinds where they were at I was playing it primarily for set value.

Cleveland Guy
07-28-2004, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for re-raising pre-flop, I was inviting callers by calling intentionally. With the blinds where they were at I was playing it primarily for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that thinking - to each their own. I would have gone hard on the flop then. You got your set but there is a possible 4 flush or 4 straight (less likely) out there I'm pushing hard and making it difficult for them to chase.

Martin Aigner
07-28-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You better donīt call for that many chips (compared to your stacksize). Muck or reraise.

I like your flopplay, but on the turn Iīd recommend raising more. If he has e.g. JJ and an A or K comes on the river you might not get any more money

Best regards

Martin Aigner

filsho
07-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm probably not as experienced as the other players here, but here's my opinion. I'd call PF as you did, but I'd raise on the flop. The lead out from UTG looks like an overpair or a Ahxh where x is a face card or maybe 10 to me. With that flop, there's no doubt you have the best hand. I raise to at least 150 here, see just how strong this guy thinks his hand is. That turn looks scary if he had QQ, but the bet of &lt; 1/6 of the pot makes that seem unlikely to me. I'd go all-in here. The river T is just scary, I'm not sure what I'd do there, that all-in seems like he may just be trying to buy the pot he built and he knows he's beat. I don't know if I could get away either.
There's my take on the hand. It may seem over aggressive, which I'm usually not, but with how long some of the guys I play with stay in on draws, I always try to punish them for it as much as I can. Sucks when I do that and get drawn out on tho.