PDA

View Full Version : Is this play defensible?

Nixon
07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed)

BB (t610)
Button (t1790)
Hero (t5600)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t1200) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB calls t10 (All-In).

Turn: (t1510) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1510) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1510

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 2h Jc (one pair, twos).
Hero shows 7d 6h (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins t1510. </font>

I do not see the problem with the raise, but apparently the guy had an issue with it, cause he went on a rant calling me a F'n moron, to which all I could say is "Yup" It is not my fault he called a raise that basically comitted him, right? (BTW, I went on to win, despite the fact that I am a moron) In my last 3 SNG's I have 2 seconds, and a first, thanks to these forums of course. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomCollins
07-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Maybe he was referring to your presidency more than your play. We all know Nixon was one helluva poker player.

mistrpug
07-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong with your play at all IMO. Just laugh when people do that.

A little while ago I had 45 in the big blind shorthanded, got a free play and floped bottom pair. Well the guy bests the minimum and I make two pair on the turn and go all-in. He calls, his TPTK is no good, and berates me for being in there and says, "Learn how to play." That cracked me up considering it was his not rasing AQ PF and his wussy best that lost it for him.

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 11:05 AM
This play is fine, next time bet so he'll have one chip left postflop and check it down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

mackthefork
07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is not my fault he called a raise that basically comitted him, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he was committed before the cards were even dealt, good work though sweep up the trash /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Regards ML

pzhon
07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd say he was committed before the cards were even dealt, good work though sweep up the trash /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the BB was committed after posting, but the Hero (SB) wasn't. Since the BB should call with any two, raising is better than folding if the SB wins at least 3/8 of the time against a random hand. 76o wins about 3/7, so raising was slightly better than folding.

However, there is a third alternative. I prefer just completing here. That the players were pot-committed preflop doesn't mean they are pot-committed post-flop. It may be good to bluff the flop often or to bluff the turn if the flop is checked through. In case you don't bluff, 76o often has an easy fold on the turn or river if it hasn't improved.