PDA

View Full Version : AQ second best?

schubes
07-28-2004, 07:32 AM
This is a pretty common situation, and I think I spewed some chips this time. I had recently opened with T9s and went to a showdown (won w/ a straight). This is in part why I played this so aggressively. Both players are new, but FWIW I have seen MP wait to raise 'till the river with flopped trips.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Hero?

Does anyone fold here?
Does anyone prefer calling the 3-bet PF, c/r the flop, and going to calldown mode if 3-bet?

Shawsy
07-28-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone fold here?
Does anyone prefer calling the 3-bet PF, c/r the flop, and going to calldown mode if 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot's too big to fold now IMO. I think you're trailing, but I'm not sure. MP could have KK or some other premium pair and still be playing like the A never hit the board. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that at these levels. I lean toward calling, and check-calling the river unless CO comes alive. I don't know what he's doing - maybe he has a weak ace and is waiting to see if he can spike his kicker?

I do like the idea of calling the 3-bet PF and c/raising the flop though. You are going to be playing AQ out of position against a PF re-raiser and this might help you get some control over the hand. If you're 3-bet I probably go to calldown mode. This is a tough hand to get away from I think.

naphand
07-28-2004, 01:18 PM
I think Shawsy describes the hand the way I would play it, the flop CR is especially good and call a 3-bet.

It's a rare game where you see a cap that is just TP, it happens but players that do this tend to give too much action. Raising the Turn unimproved is LAGGY.

schubes
07-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Yep, there's no way I can fold the turn, I'm actually getting just the right price to chase my Q, and given how MP likes to slowplay I think top two pair would win it.

I think I'm almost always against AK here. A9 is a possibility, and the only hand I'd like to see that's realistic is another AQ. The river was a J (and CO folds), so AJ beats me now too.
Since my read is that the only way I can win is by a split, the river is a little unique in that I'm really getting only 8:1 odds, but it's still a call.

I would cap w/o question PF if it was just MP, since I don't think he has much respect for my raise. Even with CO in, capping can't be too bad. Given I capped, my main mistake was 3-betting instead of calling the raise on flop. Sound good?